New Header Photo Contest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy R

We would like to update the header with a member provided photo. It needs to be 1250 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall. It's rather hard to find photos that can be cropped to these dimensions. Basically the object in focus (vessel) should be fairly far away so it takes up no more then 1/8 of the vertical space of a normal photo. We can then crop a "slice" out of the photo to make a panorama shot.

This photo shows an example of how we can crop a photo to make it fit in the header (click to enlarge):

header photo example.gif

Please post your submission to this thread for consideration. If you have a great photo but don't know how to crop it, just post the photo and we can crop it for you.

Since my Monk 36 suffered some damage via the tornado that ripped through our marina on March 2nd, I nominate our Monk, "Living Light," as the cover girl. :)

Attachments

• DSCF9390.jpg
    DSCF9390.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF4742AA.jpg
    DSCF4742AA.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF4751.jpg
    DSCF4751.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 96
Gulf Coast Maybe??

DSCF3534.JPG

Perhaps a plane. There are many aviators here...

Attachments

• 17d3061a.jpg
    17d3061a.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 85
I like the idea of several trawlers in the header photo. This suggests we're a community, not just a single mariner.

I vote for variety as well.

crop away

Attachments

• boat 226.jpg
    boat 226.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Docklife.jpg
    Docklife.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I sort of like Flywright's picture of the Nordic.

I would guess that the system is flexible enough to change that header photo easily. Why not get a lot of submissions, even going back thru the thread that has pics of many members' boats, and set them up to randomly change the header? I'd guess a lot of us might be happy to see our boats appear up there from time to time.

I like Bshanafelt's, although I suspect they wouldn't survive the required cropping.

Al that first photo you posted is AWESOME! wow.

more post launch 2009 015 revised again.jpg

Don't know if this might be of interest....

Man we have some good shots to choose from here!!!

Looks like a nice Trawler Forumation.

Sorry.

Not sure how well this would represent the predominant style of boat owned by the majority of users but thought it was a nice picture to share anyway. I do share the opinion that multiple boats be used, and am fond of it changing to include some member boats from time to time. Perhaps monthly or???

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 363
1250 x 150...check!

Well, I tried. Anything wider than 1024 get's re-sized when it's uploaded.

Attachments

• 2011BoatN133x.jpg
    2011BoatN133x.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
oooooh...very nice, Tonic!!

Not that I don't like sailboats, but I like the shots with just Trawlers since it's a Trawler Forum.

There are a lot of wonderful pictures out there... the challenge will be finding the ones that will survive the important 'crop' to the correct size!

1250 x 150...check!

Well, I tried. Anything wider than 1024 get's re-sized when it's uploaded.

I LOVE this one!

Tonic, that's just about... well... PERFECT!

Can you send me the original image to andy [at] socialknowledge.com so I can load it up?

Andy. OK, on it's way.

Rochepoint. It was taken September, last year, at Princess Louisa Inlet. I don't know the name of the boat (other than it's a Selene)..

I thought it looked familiar. This is why I live and boat in the PNW, it is beautiful. Can't wait for Andy to upload it. Thanks!

I had other photos of it and was able to make out the name (sort of) from the side board. Anyway, I eventually worked out that it's "Wild Blue", a 53' Selene. There's a blog of their exit through Malibu. Seems they didn't time it quite right!
m/v WILD BLUE Cruising Blog: September 2011

Back
Top Bottom