Old 10-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Now, talk about snooty: Last December we did a Med Cruise that stopped in at Monte Carlo. We went to the Monaco Yacht Club to exercise our reciprocal priviledges. They wouldn't let us in. 1 we didn't measure up to their dress code and 2 Our Club executive hadn't sent them a letter telling MYC we were coming and asking permission to enter the premises. None of that BS happens at RVYC.

I had similar experiences at the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in Toronto. It is located on an island off Toronto and can only be accessed by the RCYC launch or by boat. At that time, to get on the launch a gentleman had to be wearing a coat and tie. Visiting boaters from reciprocal clubs (we were coming from the Youngstown Yacht Club with my uncle on his sailboat) could use the yacht club facilities but still couldn't enter the club house without coat and tie (they did have a few blazers and ties available for the US riff-Raff to borrow in extremes). We could use the tennis court, but of course proper tennis attire was required and that meant all white.

Their current dress codes are a bit more lax, but still not a setting that I'm comfortable with. We are pretty casual out here on the West coast.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote