Lehman 65s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingBuffalo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
The Lady J
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
I’m in the process of buying a boat with Lehman 65s and I’m having a lot of difficulty finding info on these engines. Do any of you guys have any info on the subject?

Yes American Diesel is the place to go. 804-435-3107

No problem, Brian at AD is great to work with and extremely knowledgeable.

So what is an FL 65?
An older version of the 4cyl. 80 that is/was a truncated 6cyl FL?

Therein lies the mystery. I thought it was a detuned FL 80 but it appears to be only 220ci as opposed to the 256(?)if of the 80. Very little info out there.

The boat is a 1979 so I presume the engine was made at about the same time. I don’t know that that is a fact though.

80s, later 90s and 120/135s were around then, I`ve not heard of a 65. Is it definitely Lehman,not some other marinized Ford? If it`s Lehman,you have the right man to ask.

4D"s were made in Dagenham plant, then tooling was sent to Ebro in Spain. Lehman marinized them in early 70's. Some parts in common with current 80's but not all. My question for Brian would be what parts are available. Specifically the fuel pump, raw and fresh water pumps, injector pump and gaskets. I would guess that major rebuild parts would be difficult to obtain although they were used in Fordson Dextra tractors.

If common failure parts are not available I would rethink purchase decision.

I’m in the process of buying a boat with Lehman 65s and I’m having a lot of difficulty finding info on these engines. Do any of you guys have any info on the subject?

That would be a very desirable trawler twin for those that think/know twins are better.
That would mean there’d be only 440 mouths to feed instead of 760.

Last edited:
If, by 440 mouths to feed, you are talking about cubic inches, then yes I think it’s a good set of engines for a displacement trawler. If it takes 60hp to move a boat at hull speed, why would you want 240?

If, by 440 mouths to feed, you are talking about cubic inches, then yes I think it’s a good set of engines for a displacement trawler. If it takes 60hp to move a boat at hull speed, why would you want 240?

That answer may or may not come when you are bucking a 4 knot river/tidal current.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom