Need new shore power cables . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I think the time has come for me to order some new shore power cables, since the old ones are not only old and weather-beaten (a pretty good description of myself, actually), but also corroded.

The dock pedestal is a 50-amp pedestal, so I need two new 30-amp cables plus a 50-amp to 30-amp Y.

All this seems straightforward enough, but when I went to the Defender website to look at some there are lots of different choices. Kind of like buying breakfast cereal at the grocery store I guess.

So for a 36-foot trawler, which I get down to only now and then, I wouldn't think that I need the more expensive spread. But before ordering, thought that I would ask my usual experts for advice. Any and all is welcome.

I put the Smart Plug connectors on our boat last year. I really like the extra contact area on the Smart Plug. Compass Marine did a report on them and it is on their web site. I had just replaced my shore power cables so instead of buying the Smart Plug cables I just bought the connectors and replaced the ends on my new cables. If I had it to do over, I would just buy the Smart Plug cables. I had to replace the inlets on the boat but looking at it logically the difference in contact area and the better conduction of the current makes it a no brainer. Yes, the old style connector is still on the dock end but if the cable is going to have a fire I would much rather it be on the dock than on my boat.

The dock pedestal is a 50-amp pedestal, so I need two new 30-amp cables plus a 50-amp to 30-amp Y.

If you are using a 50 amp pedestal, why not get a 50 amp cable. OK, you may want to carry an adapter to take the 50 amp down to 30 amp where 50 is not available. But why have two cables at home port?

If you are using a 50 amp pedestal, why not get a 50 amp cable. OK, you may want to carry an adapter to take the 50 amp down to 30 amp where 50 is not available. But why have two cables at home port?
While that is an option and a heavier gauge cable is certainly safer, lugging a 50' 50 amp 250 volt cable is a PIA. Check the weight before buying.

Ted

Why have 2 cables? Probably because his boat has 2 30 amp inlets. Like mine.

Missing information. Is the pedestal “50a 125” or “50a 125/250”. These are two different but similar looking plugs.

That assumption might be expensive. There are y adapters for both as well as 30a 125v to two 30a 125v.

John
I have contemplated moving to the Smart plug but so far resisted... my thinking and reasoning:
I have 2 30A 120V inlets.
I agree with the Smart plug advantages and would prefer having it... except...
In addition to my 2 50 ft conventional cords I have a 25 ft 30A cord I have found very useful when cruising. Some pedestals very close and 25 ft easier to handle. If not the 50 works fine and sometimes s pedestal is way fwd and I need connect 2 cords... usually a 50 plus 25 is sufficient.
With all plug ends compatible I have the above options if one end only fits the boat I can't combine them so would need additional cords with conventional ends... too much bother for me.

The cable ends will eventually need replacing so the molded type that has to be cut off is out foe ne.

I prefer the removable , sometimes reparable Hubbel end fittings .

ON a boat that is only visited on occasion the 50A 240V big heavy cable would be no burden , except to wallet.

The advantage is bigger power delivered for happier air cond , or electric heat.

2x 50A 125V inlets is a decent compromise (and why I haven't changed away from that setup on mine). Cords are still heavy and expensive, but not as heavy as a 50A 125/250 cord (about 40 lbs vs 50+). And it's easy to adapt to just about any marina. I carry a pair of 30A -> 50A pigtails and a 50A 125/250 -> 2x 50A 125V Y-splitter. That leaves me covered for 1x 30A, 2x 30A, 1x 50A 125V, 2x 50A 125V or 1x 50A 125/250V on the dock (the 1x 30A or 50A case is covered by a switch to feed both sides of my panel from inlet 1). And I've yet to see a marina that falls outside of those combinations.

2x 30A gives similar adaptability with the same number of adapters, but the 50A plugs are more durable, reducing the need to switch to a different plug on the boat end.

Definitely buy high quality, even for just occasional use.

If you only need a single 50 foot or 25 or whatever, buy 2 of them. Make certain that the screw connectors match each other and match your boat. Mine are good cables but are mismatched and do not screw together, kind of a problem. There will ALWAYS be the occasion where you need to connect 2 cables together, either at a remote dock or on the hard. Get a pair that match.

pete

One cable is for the air-conditioner, which is on a completely separate circuit. The other cable is for everything else. And the two receptacles on the boat are for 30-amp cables.

The shore power question is critical. You need to know if it’s 120/240v, or 120V. They will require different adapters.

I have bought a number of Furrion brand cables and they have been fine, and a good bit less expensive than Marinco. 30A cables are generally cheap, but the adapter will be a bit more.

Also depending on how handy you are, the plug ends can be cut off and replaced. The cable itself is rarely compromised. It’s probably not worth it for the 30A cords, but might be for the adapter. Just something to consider.

One cable is for the air-conditioner, which is on a completely separate circuit. The other cable is for everything else. And the two receptacles on the boat are for 30-amp cables.

Have you considered going to a single 50A setup, and eliminating the twin 30s?

Have you considered going to a single 50A setup, and eliminating the twin 30s?

I thought about it, but too much on my plate right now to deal with it. So I just ordered two Furrion 30 amp 25' cables from Defender. They continue to have the best prices, so far as I can tell.

And for those of you who I consider friends (you know who you are) I will just tell you all that I just got married again, after 12 years of being a confirmed bachelor. :)

John
I have contemplated moving to the Smart plug but so far resisted... my thinking and reasoning:
I have 2 30A 120V inlets.
I agree with the Smart plug advantages and would prefer having it... except...
In addition to my 2 50 ft conventional cords I have a 25 ft 30A cord I have found very useful when cruising. Some pedestals very close and 25 ft easier to handle. If not the 50 works fine and sometimes s pedestal is way fwd and I need connect 2 cords... usually a 50 plus 25 is sufficient.
With all plug ends compatible I have the above options if one end only fits the boat I can't combine them so would need additional cords with conventional ends... too much bother for me.

I don't have a Smart Plug on my current boat as it has a 50A/120v connector which I find to be very secure.

However, on my sailboat, I installed a Smart Plug. The boat was about 42' LOA and had the shore power inlet in the stern. I bought a 50' Smart Plug 30amp power cord (normal end on dock side, Smart Plug on boat side) and I replaced the boat side plug on my existing power cord. I kept one on the boat for traveling along with a 25' 30 amp cord. There were times when I needed the 25' extension and I would leave on of my 50' cords on my home dock.

I don't find the 50' cord too unwieldy (I had a really nifty cord holder that made it easy but sold it with the sailboat). I now have a simple handle with a strap for carrying/hanging the cord which is easy.
14152284.jpg

Anyway, you could easily just replace the boat side ends of your two 50' cords and leave your 25' as is for an extension as needed. I MUCH preferred the Smart Plug to the standard 30A plug.

Hi. Not to derail the thread, but if anyone making the switch to Smartplugs has a SS Marinco telephone/tv inlet cover (twistlock) they are removing, I need one.
Or maybe just a ss 50A/240v inlet cover if I can't find the telephone/TV?

The trawler I just purchased lost the head of the center pin attaching the telephone/tv cover, so the cover becomes unattached when unscrewed. The head of the center pin fell off but the shaft of the pin is still frozen into the cover itself.
Thanks!

Could you drill out the existing pin and replace it? That seems like it would be the quick / cheap fix.

That was my first thought but as soon as I start down that road, I lose the watertight integrity once the pin is drilled out. Not sure what to replace the ss pin with as the head has slight oval flat but is smooth; .. or where to source. I hate to replace the inlet if this would work.

I wholeheartedly support & endorse the Smart Plug as well. Safest thing you can do for your boat, especially considering most boat fires start at the plug.
Great product and great support.
You will need to replace your boat side intake receptacle for both 30A connections but it is a DYI job. You can buy the kit which has the receptacle and the cord.
The 50A adapter is available on Defender as is the Smart Plug and will probably be the least expensive place to get it, but do your due diligence. Google is your friend, but with any search engine, you never know what else, non-related, will show up.

And for those of you who I consider friends (you know who you are) I will just tell you all that I just got married again, after 12 years of being a confirmed bachelor. :)

John, with all the exciting shore power cord discussion I think people missed this comment. Or...they are ignoring it because it brings back really bad memories.... I wouldn't trade my 33 year tenured Admiral for anything. Well, that Grand Banks 60 looks really good so...no, no, not anything.

Congrats from someone who doesn't know you at all!

I put the Smart Plug connectors on our boat last year. I really like the extra contact area on the Smart Plug. Compass Marine did a report on them and it is on their web site. I had just replaced my shore power cables so instead of buying the Smart Plug cables I just bought the connectors and replaced the ends on my new cables. If I had it to do over, I would just buy the Smart Plug cables. I had to replace the inlets on the boat but looking at it logically the difference in contact area and the better conduction of the current makes it a no brainer. Yes, the old style connector is still on the dock end but if the cable is going to have a fire I would much rather it be on the dock than on my boat.
The Smartplug cables are terrific. The cable sheathing is pliable and flexible, probably some sort of silicone rubber. Anyway, the cord is quite easy to coil up quite unlike those heavy yellow beasts of old. I threw my old one away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom