Sliding Dinghy Davit??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
I own a 38' slip with a very strict 2' overhang limit. I am looking at a 2008 Mainship 34. LOA appears to be 40' pulpit to swim step). It has Olsson Transom electric stainless steel davits which can be retracted a bit to stay within the 40' limit but only without the dinghy.

I love the davits but have no place for the dinghy. I am trying to find a davit system that slides fore and aft on the swim step. We want full access to the swim step when cruising but we could slide the davit attachment point forward up against the transom when clearance is needed. When we want to launch the dinghy we would slide the attachment point aft to the aft edge of the swim step.

Hope that makes sense.

It may be more cost effective to look at reducing the length at the bow. What I mean is modifying or removing the bow pulpit to get OAL down to an acceptable length.

I agree with Ka_Sea_ta,
Most bow pulpits can be shortened .. or even removed. From the numbers given you’ve got at least 3’ to play with.
In the pic below one can see that this one can be shortened at least 18”.
But your pulput may be molded into the hull. I would say you’re screwed if that’s the case.
But if your boat is similar to the Willard in the pic significant shortening can be done.

Attachments

• B2EB128E-2AF5-42EF-B711-ED3EA8440800.jpg
    B2EB128E-2AF5-42EF-B711-ED3EA8440800.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 37
Maybe two Davis?
If your arms are removable, maybe ALSO install tilt-up Weaver Davits for when in the slip?
Just a thought.

Maybe two Davits?
If your arms are removable, maybe ALSO install tilt-up Weaver Davits for when in the slip?
Just a thought.

look at the Dingy Caddy...i have it on my 34T and it tilts/pulls the dinghy half up on the swim platform...when we need the platform access (for the dogs) we just lower it part way and the platform is clear

Plus one on the dinghy caddy.
They mount in slide in tracks anyway so Kevin the owner, who is a great fabricator may be able to fabricate a longer track with several mounting points.
Looking at mine I see that with a track I could move the dinghy forward at least 18 inches from where it is installed

Our davits swivel, so we can fold them tight against the stern of the boat, or swing them out to use them.

I think they are Garhauser davits.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 7.36.52 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 7.36.52 AM.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom