Alternative to eisenglass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Is there a better alternative to eisenglass?

When we made out enclosure, I wanted better visibility forward. I made patterns for the front 5 panels and the first side panel on each side and sent them to a fabricator in New Jersey. He made the 7 panels out of EZ2CY. It is like looking through glass. It isn’t cheap but they are beautiful.

Makrolon is also an alternative. I like what I have read about EZ2CY, I think it might be a superior product but it depends on the application.

Makrolon is a polycarbonate with a UV resistance coating.

EZ2CY is an acrylic which is UV resistant.

Because of the UV coating Makrolon looses some clarity. Because EZ2CY is acrylic it is much less flexible and UV will cause it to craze over time.

I have the center 3 panels set up to hinge up for ventilation. I have to flex them to get them up over the venturi windshield and the MFDs that are mounted on the top of the helm. I don’t have to flex them a lot but they do flex easily enough. I use 210 spray wax to keep them clean and slick so that the rain rolls off nicely.

Comodave,

Do you sew through the EZ2CY? Or adhesive?

Special needle? Or thread?

Thanks

No they are bonded to Stamoid, Sunbrella won’t work due to the texture. I did not make the panels because I don’t have the equipment to bond the panels. I did sew the rest of the enclosure. I wanted the front panels to shed rain since I could not put wipers on the enclosure with out putting in glass which I couldn’t do. The 7 panels cost about $2800 and with me doing the rest of the enclosure overall it wasn’t bad.

I used Strataglass for the sides of my cockpit under the roof. I hang the panels from the ceiling overhead. Rolling is not good for any isenglass, vinyl or other flexible clear material.

It's been 5 years since sewing it and there are a few minor scratches and blemishes if I examine it closely. None that I can't buff out, but I have'nt. The clarity does not seem diminished. Overall, it still looks new.

The boat is kept in a boathouse 8 months out of the year, which may be a factor on opacity.

I just upgraded to .080 thick polycarbonate with a UV coating. Expensive as it cannot be sewn to canvas but needs to be bonded. It does not roll up. Either fold the panel out of the way or remove. In any event it is very clear and seems durable. Neighbor has the same that is 3 years old and looks great.

I used GE Lexan .060 thick & sewn. It's a polycarbonate and is really clear.

Attachments

• Lexan Fly Bridge.jpg
    Lexan Fly Bridge.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 61
Lexan is very clear but if it doesn’t have a UV coating it will start to turn yellow in year 3 and by year five it will be less clear than standard vinyl.

The right shop can sew 50 mil polycarbonate and use 30 mil for curved corners. Curving eliminates corner frames and adds rigidity. After ten years in Florida sun mine looks great

Makrolon and EZ2CY are rigid alternatives to eisenglass, and Regalite and Stratoglass are flexible alternatives.

We have the new Makrolon Marine 5 for our front three panels, extra UV protection, slightly flexible (as we pin one panel to the hardtop), etc. The original Makrolon we had was installed in 2009, started to yellow in late 2017, went further south in 2018, replaced earlier this last Spring.

Our other 7 panels are Regalite, .040" gauge I think, with roll-up "smiley's" for ventilation. Seems better than the original Stratoglass that came on the boat. Panels installed in 2009, one replaced because of an owner malfunction that caused a tear... otherwise all good. That said, we usually dismount and store the 5 aft panels during the Summer.

Otherwise, the front 3 Makrolon and 2 Regalite panels are up 24/7/365...

Everything sewn into Sunbrella, with Tenara thread. Coil zippers on the smiley's.

-Chris

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom