Local boatyard closing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
34' CHB
Mods feel free to move if a better place for it.

This may be old news for some, but I just was told that Latitude Marine, formerly Sovereign Marine and originally Skagit Bay Boatyard here in LaConner, WA is going up for auction next month.

I worked at this yard for 16 years under all 3 owners since it first opened, in fact I was there for the first haulout on the new, at that time largest sling lift in the area at 100 tons. Sort of a white elephant in its operation but they made improvements over the years, it was pretty pathetic at first!

So this will narrow down to one yard in LaConner now, LaConner Maritime at the north end of town. Latitude was just inside the Hole in the Wall.

I worked as their main shipwright and caulker for 16 years, and hate to see it closed. As to why its closing, I don't know and don't want to speculate.

Too many regs,too high taxes, not enough profit as a result?

Too many regs,too high taxes, not enough profit as a result?

When you have no idea, why not fill in the blanks with your own world view? Then things will always appear as you want them too, rather than how they actually are.

I lived right next door to a boatyard in NC (Carolina Yacht Yard). It had been in business for about 40-50 years under two owners. I worked as an independent subcontractor taking care of generator and engine rebuilds. I would diagnose, their guys would pull the machine out, I'd take it to my shop and do my thing, they would install it. Towards the end, the owners were getting into their sixties, getting tired and developers were drooling over the land. I guess they got an offer that set them for life and that was that. Hard to turn down that kind of money. Now my neighbors are three McMansions.

Land under the yard is almost always worth more than the yard can justify. Does not explain an auction though.. Maybe the land already sold and the auction is just for the equipment.

Interesting piece. I met Anchor a few times when I worked at another yard in Seattle, where I was born and raised, and my dad knew him pretty well.
I apprenticed at Fishing Vessel Owners Marine Ways at Fisherman's Terminal just alongside the Ballard Bridge, worked there for 12 years before moving to LaConner in 1989 when Skagit Bay Boatyard opened.

Wood boat work is a dying trade, though still enough of them around here in the PNW to keep a few guys working fairly steady. The last few years I did it, was spent mostly caulking or 'corking' as most know it. Mindless labor, hard on the joints and ears.

Well the lift is up for auction and that is pretty much the business. I heard the place is done.

puget-trawler, is that on Indian land? I thought the Indians were on the other side of the slough.

Mods feel free to move if a better place for it.

This may be old news for some, but I just was told that Latitude Marine, formerly Sovereign Marine and originally Skagit Bay Boatyard here in LaConner, WA is going up for auction next month.

I worked at this yard for 16 years under all 3 owners since it first opened, in fact I was there for the first haulout on the new, at that time largest sling lift in the area at 100 tons. Sort of a white elephant in its operation but they made improvements over the years, it was pretty pathetic at first!

So this will narrow down to one yard in LaConner now, LaConner Maritime at the north end of town. Latitude was just inside the Hole in the Wall.

I worked as their main shipwright and caulker for 16 years, and hate to see it closed. As to why its closing, I don't know and don't want to speculate.

Well that sucks. I've used Latitude for awhile, and Patrick, the owner, is a good and honest person IMO. The boat business is a hard business....

When you have no idea, why not fill in the blanks with your own world view? Then things will always appear as you want them too, rather than how they actually are.

Denial. It ain’t just a river in Egypt.

Denial. It ain’t just a river in Egypt.

And what is just making up information like you chose to do, when you know absolutely nothing about why they closed.

Boatyards close for many reasons. Lack of profits, age of owners, other uses for land are just a few and the most common. Lack of profits can be for many reasons including the most common which is poor management, lack of capital, market conditions, and competition. I have no idea why this marina closed. Perhaps someone who knows the owner will talk to him, but then they might not still get the real story.

I’m truly sorry to learn about their closure. I first used Latitude almost 20 years ago to refasten the bottom on my old Monk cruiser. I believe Patrick had just acquired the yard. Then recently I took my Selene there to install hydraulic stabilizers and an articulating rudder. I appreciated their honesty and general good attitude toward work and customer service. It wasn’t just another “yacht yard”; but rather a real working boatyard where you’d see seiners, tugs and trawler yachts like mine sharing the same space...RIP Latitude Marine.

Last edited:
And what is just making up information like you chose to do, when you know absolutely nothing about why they closed.

Boatyards close for many reasons. Lack of profits, age of owners, other uses for land are just a few and the most common. Lack of profits can be for many reasons including the most common which is poor management, lack of capital, market conditions, and competition. I have no idea why this marina closed. Perhaps someone who knows the owner will talk to him, but then they might not still get the real story.

Why are you guys jumping down this fella's throat when he posed a QUESTION, not an assertion? JHC!

Why are you guys jumping down this fella's throat when he posed a QUESTION, not an assertion? JHC!

I jumped down his throat as you call it because he stated that TwistedTree was just in denial over his question/assertion. That second post clearly turned the question into an assertion or statement in spite of the question mark.

My post was not a response simply to his original post but to his follow up response.

Sounds like a case of two wrongs to me. OUT.

Because it's an Internet forum. If you stated that apple pie tastes good, there will be those who will call you a fool, or imply that you are one.

Because it's an Internet forum. If you stated that apple pie tastes good, there will be those who will call you a fool, or imply that you are one.

Wifey B: If God had meant for apples to be cooked, she wouldn't have grown them on trees. :D

Back
Top Bottom