View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #20
rgano
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn6437 View Post
my boat has a stuffing box with the rope/wax packing. it failed Monday , thankfully the bilge pump saved a disaster. planning to have it replaced with a dripless seal. the boatyard also recommended having a spare installed on the shaft so as to make the next replacement of the dripless seal easier and cheaper .
my question is which brand of dripless seal is the best in your opinion ?
I have heard of the traditional packing boxes like your dripping excessively only to be repaired with a new bit of packing, but your description has a rather catastrophic feel. Can you give a description of how yours "failed?"

I have personal experience with the old fashioned packing, a unique grease and o-ring combination seal, the Lasdrop dripless (a face seal style), the PYI face seal (beefier than the Lasdrop), and the current Tides lip seal style on my Pilot.

If personally feel that of the two types of dripless seals the lip seal would be prone to leaking if there was a shafting issue like a bend while the face seal could more easily adapt to such a thing.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote