Old 09-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
Pau Hana
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'm not sure if they were Mathers controls, but I had to move a boat from the travel lift over to a slip in an adjacent marina. It was the first time I've ever driven a vessel with electronic shifters.

I hated them. I when put the boat into FWD (1....2....3... transmission goes FWD). Put the boat in nuetral (1....2.....3..transmission goes into neutral).

About a year later I say a guy in a large mide 50 Searay flybridge horsing his throttles very hard around a gas dock and had to laugh. I strongly suspect he was dealing with the same issue. Only his solution was more throttle, until the tranmission kicked in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Why would anyone keep such a system in their boat ? I would immediately swap it out for a cable system.

If you are contemplating a purchase of a boat with electronic controls immediately knock the price of replacement off the price and explain why.

I had a friend who had an early auto pilot system which often malfunctioned whenever he got close to a large metal object (bridge, large ship, loading docks, etc.) It was a ticking time bomb !! same for these electronic controls, get rid of them.

pete
Nothing wrong with electronic controls at all- so the fear is unjustified. Countless cables have broken, and hydraulic lines break- so what is you solution for those with analog cables or hydraulic hoses that are hard to access/replace?

Electronic controls may have an engagement delay- like anything else, itís simply a factor of learning the system.

We went from cable to Glendinning, and would not go back to cable.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote