Anyone Else Have A Collection Of These?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But how does the tire valve vent air when you pour? Still have the glug glug problem, don't you? I don't get it.

What you all need is a battery operated liquid transfer pump, plug that description into amazon and you will be surprised at the choices. Harbor Freight even has them too.

Terry

The OP’s picture looks like my collection of cans for hurricane preparedness. I bought several of those old style spouts, makes a huge difference. I only stashed ten gallons for this last hurricane. Several gas stations near me have generators now so getting gas after a storm should be easier. If we don’t get a storm this year, I’ll put it in my truck in November.

Number of jugs is proportional to your Cylinder Index (CI) :D

I did not know they made those. I have been doing this modification to my gas cans for years. I use the metal valve stem because I find that the gas makes the rubber breakdown.

Great idea. Not said in the video, but I assume the valve core is removed.

I wonder why you couldn't just take a Philips screwdriver and punch your own air hole in the opposite end to the spout?

Drill a hole, insert golf tee.

Still have "rubber" at the valve stem base - doesn't that deteriorate? Not a knock - going to try it on my newer, inferior gas cans.

Jeebus, using an electric drill into a gasoline tank. Tell me that was empty. That and a rubber stem WILL not hold up to gas exposure. I mean, yeah, for a short while it'll be ok, but over time you'll have rubber bits falling into the fuel.

And what of the plastic chunks from the drilling? Best clean the tank to make sure there's none ready to get sucked into your outboard engine...

An empty tank is even worse, lots of exploding vapors in a empty tank. Fill it to overflow with water.
Jeebus, using an electric drill into a gasoline tank. Tell me that was empty. That and a rubber stem WILL not hold up to gas exposure. I mean, yeah, for a short while it'll be ok, but over time you'll have rubber bits falling into the fuel.

And what of the plastic chunks from the drilling? Best clean the tank to make sure there's none ready to get sucked into your outboard engine...

An empty tank is even worse, lots of exploding vapors in a empty tank.
:thumb:

But at least with an empty tank you'd get one boom, not a boom then a raging fire. I mean, hey, that's a difference between a hospital visit or closed casket funeral. Though, I suppose someone's gotta keep burn ward staff and morticians employed.

Special collections day

Several years ago I bought a house that had a big collection of oils, paints, solvents, and other hazardous materials. I waited for the county dump to host a special collection day. They took everything without any questions. Including 24 gallons of contaminated gasoline from boat tanks.
Felt good to have that pickup load dropped off!

My town dump has a collection center with various tanks to dump stuff. You just take your hazardous material and dump it in the correct tank. They also have bins to collect the contaminated containers.

Used oil just goes to the local car parts place. They are required to take used motor oil from anybody. They have a tank in the back to dump it.

Along these lines, is there any sort of decent way to test gasoline quality in the field? As in, like pool chemistry via strips or something? Not for E85 or Ethanol content, just octane.

Why do you think I would need to plug it, apart from some duct tape to stop rain getting in?

Round here we just screw in a large sheet metal screw into the DIY vent hole.

I have ten 5-gallon plastic fuel containers in the colors blue, red, and yellow. A number of them have that abortion of a committee designed spout dictated by gumint officials who have probably never had to use one while others have "modified" spouts. I use them all for obtaining off-road diesel to siphon into my 150-gallon capacity boat at my pier. When a hurricane threatens, I fill the five red containers with proper spouts with non-ethanol gas for my generator or car and then empty and air them out to dry after the threat is gone.

We just started using the new Edson SureCans and really like them. We do sell them in our online store, but thought people might appreciate seeing how they work:

https://youtu.be/mwkD9jxUTvc

I just took 2 to the dump because I couldn’t remember which one I mixed with oil.:rolleyes:

I was a Scouting leader for 15 years and the last several with a Venture Crew sponsored by a fire dept. The Fire Chief and I were talking one day and he mentioned the "natural migration effect" of fuel jugs, propane tanks and scuba tanks in people's garages and basements. He said there is some unknown force that causes them to migrate together and in the worst possible location. He often reads or sees this in post fire arson investigations. He said there's no criminal charges but it screws up owners insurance claims. I understand the same applies to jugs in the engine rooms.
Of course, when I went home I checked and all of the above were next to my heating oil tanks and add in Oxy-acetylene tanks. They immediately got moved to a shed at the back of my lot pending disposal. I wonder how big of hole and how many firemen it could have taken out!

...do you think they breed?

Of course....the 1 gallons are the infants and the 2.5 gallons are the teenage offsprings....how else could we all end up with so many :);)

Nothing like a couple of classic Star Trek references to make me smile!

LLAP, gentlemen!

Back
Top Bottom