Pilot Required for Wrangell Narrows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So I have a Canadian friend with a 68 Son Ship. This past summer he was told that he could not use Wrangell Narrows unless he hired a pilot.

What? Has anyone heard about this?:eek::eek:

May be a special activity going on in the narrows. And special requirements for larger vessels. Does this boat carry passengers for hire?

So I have a Canadian friend with a 68 Son Ship. This past summer he was told that he could not use Wrangell Narrows unless he hired a pilot.

What? Has anyone heard about this?:eek::eek:

Any boat of foreign registry over 65' must have pilotage. However, exemption is available through application and meeting certain requirements. Here are some links.

For exemption:

https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/cbpl/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardofMarinePilots/Exemptions.aspx

However, there's a cute little exception:

A pilotage exemption does not apply to the areas of Wrangell Narrows or Peril Strait, in Southeast Alaska, and if transiting these areas, a pilot must be employed.

https://yachtservicesofalaska.com/regulations/

As soon as you go over 20m, boating becomes a lot more complicated, even if recreational.

Last edited:
Well crap. I didn't know this. What a pain in the a$$

https://seapa.com/compPilotage.pdf

https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/portals/5/pub/mar4479.pdf

BandB you beat me to it. I have some friends from Canada that have 72ft Yachts and they told me it cost a few thousand $$ to hire a pilot for the narrows. WOW

We had a Pilot on board for six weeks. We could have gotten exemption but after talking to pilots and making arrangements, we decided it was worth it, since none of us had ever been to Alaska. For most of the time, he was a very knowledgeable tour guide. He knew people at every marina and every stop and had great advice. He knew the operators of all the sea planes and all the exploration boats for day trips. He did discount his normal daily rate, giving a package rate for the period. We found a pilot who was actually interested in making the trip and enjoying Alaska with us while working a little along the way.

When he returned, the other pilots gave him a hard time and asked where he'd been, if he'd been on vacation. He said "Yes, a wonderful paid vacation with nice people" or at least that's what he told us he said. Could have actually told them "Six weeks from h...".

Just amazing. Did have a clue and I can see folks coming from Canada not having a clue and not hiring a pilot. Sham I believe for the pilots! What to hire, no worries. Forcing you to get a pilot is wrong.

Just amazing. Did have a clue and I can see folks coming from Canada not having a clue and not hiring a pilot. Sham I believe for the pilots! What to hire, no worries. Forcing you to get a pilot is wrong.

Not at all unusual. Many ports require them. St. Lawrence requires them. Great Lakes require them even. Panama Canal. Also, many exceptions. Recreational boats can do Alaska without. Get exception and avoid the two areas. They are well paid positions, but not a sham. Pilots are mostly for large commercial vessels. However, larger recreational vessels who don't know the area and don't have all the equipment need them.

There are even a couple of places in the Bahamas where we use them and captains who have been there dozens of times do, due to the shoals and how they shift between trips.

Wonder if the vessel in Beaufort used a pilot.

*Note to Self*

If you ever build that dream power trimaran, make it 59 feet instead of the original plan of 60 feet :socool:

*Note to Self*

If you ever build that dream power trimaran, make it 59 feet instead of the original plan of 60 feet :socool:

20 Meters is the cut off, 65'-7.4"
Keep it 65'-6" on a pleasure craft and you are home free.

Last edited:
Is that overall length or documented length. I am documented at 54’ but my true overall length is 60’

It's overall and you don't want to risk them measuring at a fine of $10,000. But it's 65' not 60', technically 65' 7.4".

Once again, I am impressed with the knowledge of TF members!

Back
Top Bottom