Repainting the hull and topsides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JanisK

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
NightinGayle
Vessel Make
Tradewinds 42
One of the POs years ago repainted Gemma in a 2 pack* paint.* Both hull and topsides.* I dont know how long ago but it has deteriorated to the point where the topcoat is flaking from the undercoat.* Even light pressure such as a water hose peels large patches of topcoat.* It seems the undercoat wasnt sanded well enough as the topcaot delaminates from the undercoat.

So Im going to have to remove it all and repaint.* Eventually.* The hull first, which I want to get done professionally and then later the topsides which I will likely do myself. (Note: the antifouling is out of this consideration, although it will also be redone).

I would like to use a 2 pack for the hull and probably a single pack for topsides so that I can do that painting progressively myself ( due to $$$).

So Im thinking what to use.

Hull:

- International Perfection 2 pack but Ive had a bad experience.* It dulls really quickly ie 12-18 months in my experience

- Dulux Durethane 2 Pack worked great for many years on a ski boat I painted

- Awlgrip has a great reputation - any opinions?

- Jotun is what my surveyor is big on

- Ameron is what my prospective painter has used but I wasnt very impressed with the final finish on a boat he had had sprayed.

Topsides:

- International Brightside has been disappointing on internal flybridge seat areas.* It has severely moisture blistered.* But lots of folk have used it.

- International Toplac.* PeterB speaks highly of it I believe.

- What else?

Obviously I would like to get a colour that I can use in single and 2 Pack so that probably locks me in to a single paint manufacturer.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Greetings,
Awlgrip has been receiving bad press in recent years evidently because of a formulation change which has resulted in poorer performance. I personally know of no-one who has used Awlgrip recently and am just passing on anecdotal information.

A couple of the local yards are using Alexseal paints. Haven't tried it myself.

Where can one obtain " international" Toplac? I used Toplac for the windows several years ago and prefer it toBrightsides, I think Toplac lasts longer.
Bill

Jan, I can vouch personally for the two pack International perfection for the hull. Had it done professionally almost 2 yrs ago now and still looks like new. For the hull I think it really does need to be professionally sprayed, and is worth the cost in added value. I also concur with being extremely disappointed with Brightside, especially if it gets damp much, it seems to sweat and blister easily, and I have had similar issues in the flybridge and other areas. However, I did all the topsides with International Toplac last year and it still looks great, and was very easy to apply,even with a brush. It seems to live up to the claim of being much more hard-wearing than other single pack polyurethanes.

I had great success with Sterling/Detco 2 part for the hull paint. If you search the archives, there is a lengthy discussion on hull painting.

I use Brightside 1-part on the cabin and decks.* I usually get 3-4 years before the shine fades.

-- Edited by bshanafelt on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 08:50:27 AM

I use Interlux one part Brightside Polyurethane for hull and superstructure.* I find it last just as long as the tow part, easier to apply, flattens well, and easy to match for tough up.* For the hull it has lasted 7 years,*but each year have touched up the scrapes. I find the two parts are to hard to mix and to match.* Also when I bump/scrap the dock its no big deal, ½ an hour and its fixed.

You do not have to sand the old paint completely, but you go have to sand down to the point the old paint does not come off/sticks, then apply several coats of primer until the surface is a blinding white and no blemishes show through, then a thin gloss coat is applied.* Its the primer that actually protects and the gloss is to make it pretty.* Better to apply several thin top coats and one thick top coats.****

I think I've commented on this before, but I have had great experience with Rustoleum Marine paints, available at Lowes for about $12/qt vs about $30 for Brightside from the Jamestowns and Defenders sites. I repainted my hull - roll& tip, 3-4 years ago and it still looks good.

Gemma wrote:
- Ameron is what my prospective painter has used but I wasnt very impressed with the final finish on a boat he had had sprayed.
*Not meaning to offend your prospective painter, but I would request to see other boats he has painted that do show a final finish that you would be impressed with.

ARoss wrote:
I think I've commented on this before, but I have had great experience with Rustoleum Marine paints, available at Lowes for about $12/qt vs about $30 for Brightside from the Jamestowns and Defenders sites. I repainted my hull - roll&amp tip, 3-4 years ago and it still looks good.

I tried Rustoleum. It did flatten blend well. I did use it on the roof which we walk on as it does cover well and lasts.

If you want a two part paint for the hull and a single part paint for the topsides, with colors that match, I think you are going to have to consider Interlux Perfection and Brightside. Both are very good paints and easy to apply. That said, the best selling paint in my store is Awlgrip.

I also have been very disappointed in the performance of Brightside for the superstructure.

A professional painter pointed out that the house paint market is much bigger than the marine market and*proportionally more is spent on R&D.

I have replaced (sanded and painted over) the Brightside with Taubmans Butex - a high quality house paint which is probably marketed under different names in other countries. It holds its gloss much better and*doesn't develop mould in winter - which was a major issue with Brightside. It's also very much cheaper than Toplac,*the Brightside replacement.

The Butex is now in it's second year and is holding up well.

I think Pettit's Easypoxy is far superior to Brightsides for a single part. Just bought a can of each last week for my bootstripe. The first coat was B and it was thin as water. I was looking at a min of 5 coats to get coverage. Went and got Easypoxy which I have always liked in the past, WOW many times the pigment. Two coats and done. Flows great both on the sunny side of the boat and in the shade.

Many folks have used "roll and tip" for problem paints like All-grip.

It does work , but a neighbor has been painting with two rollers , the second roller is almost dry , its wet but carries no paint.

Seems to give the "spray painted " look with out the need for a quality varnish brush to clean and maintain.

He just tosses the enamel foam roller, no clean up.

Might work for you?

It is truly all about the prep work.

Even the best paint won't do it's job if the prep work is not top notch.

You can't skimp on that kind of thing.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 12:50:49 PM

Back
Top Bottom