• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Looking for Trailer Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look into a C- Dory 25 cruiser. I’m biased, but they are strong, dry, safe and efficient trailerable boats. Simple in design and layout. Easily maintained. No fluff, just efficient simplicity, like an old VW. Google “C-Brats” and you’ll see numerous for sale.

Welcome aboard. We lived in Tucson for 30 years before moving to Michigan.

Cutwaters and Ranger Tugs (same company) are both trailerable.

I would not consider any four stroke outboard powered boat a trawler, a hull that goes displacement speeds for long periods of time. The C Dory or even the Roseborough boats are mostly powered by the four strokes outboards. And overtime the four stroke outboards will not operate in a healthy manner if you don't run it at the upper range of rpms on a frequent occasion, IMHO.

I would not consider any four stroke outboard powered boat a trawler, a hull that goes displacement speeds for long periods of time. The C Dory or even the Roseborough boats are mostly powered by the four strokes outboards. And overtime the four stroke outboards will not operate in a healthy manner if you don't run it at the upper range of rpms on a frequent occasion, IMHO.

I believe the same can be said for large diesels. I think my Cummins manual recommends running at high rpms for 20 minutes before every shutdown.

I believe the same can be said for large diesels. I think my Cummins manual recommends running at high rpms for 20 minutes before every shutdown.
Well people considering a trawler in most cases expect a maximum of 7 to 10 knots or mph , depending on how you count your speed over ground.

And most outboard powered hulls, as in the example of the C Dory does that just above your idle speeds or trolling speeds for most planing hulls. This is usually not the case when considering the diesel installed in a displacement style hull , which should be considered a trawler style hull around these parts. [of course this is an on going interpretation here too. [:D.

You are way above the mid range of your top end wheeled rpms for the diesels and doing the max of 7 to 10 knots?. So its not as critical versus the outboards. I don't consider my current hull a trawler, even though I am very efficient at the 7 mph range since my top end is way above that speed at the prescribed top end rpm on the outboard.

Last edited:
The only real trawler that is trailerable IMO is the Swedish built Albin25.
Probably around 5,000lbs including the trailer.

Sorry nowhere close to a 2000 model year.

Whether it's a trawler or not, plenty of people run their C-Dorys at trawler speeds most of the time. Haven't heard of any issues with the engines.

Whether it's a trawler or not, plenty of people run their C-Dorys at trawler speeds most of the time. Haven't heard of any issues with the engines.

Many sportfishing boats use their four strokes at fishing speeds for long periods of time. But these boats and engines do not cruise to their fishing grounds at this speed. My original point was that trawler speed and rpms are not the primary rpm that's used as with cruising all day for weeks at a time. His request was for a trawler. So it is important to clarify the meaning of trawler for the sake of your primary use and desires. And that does make a difference, IMO[observation]. The Ranger tug, pilgrim and Nordic hulls are in a different class as the c Dory boats for sure. YMMV

The only real trawler that is trailerable IMO is the Swedish built Albin25.
Probably around 5,000lbs including the trailer.

Sorry nowhere close to a 2000 model year.

There sure a lot of Albin 25 for sale, at rock bottom price.... What is the aft cabin lay out like?

An Acadia 25 is a New England style, Lobster style picnic boat. I have one with the 100 hp Yanmar, it will plane but travels at modest speeds, happily at 8 - 10 knots around 2.5 or less GPH, 60 gallons of fuel only but still decent range. Very trailerable.

Dan,
The Albin’s aft cabin is a small V berth like cabin. Space was utilized under the cockpit seat rise like many sailboats. Albin built many sailboats and some of the Deluxe 25’s detail features reflect that. One version of the A25’s is actually a motorsailer.
We used the aft cabin for storage and Chris ha a lot of her clothes and girl stuff back there and she called it her “dressing room”. I didn’t even like to get in it as the getting in and out was awkward. Also the drop from berth to sole was quite short.

But for a family or young people that didn’t want to leave their friends ashore it is perfect.

The A25’s typically burn 1/2 to .85 gph. The .85gph gave my Albin 8.5 knots. We ran 7.35 to Juneau and back. Most A25 skippers run at 6 knots and thought I was doing something sinful at over 8. The early hull design boats (like mine) would top out at 11 knots but at that speed fwd visibility was limited.

Last edited:
Ranger Tug 31 CB (Command Bridge)

We recently boat a 2017 Ranger Tug, R31CB.

We have already logged over 300 hours, including a 900 nautical mile trip from Baltimore to NY, circumnavigating long island.

In short, we really like this boat. We like trawler style and flybridge, but also like to travel. So we wanted a boat that we could pull down to the keys or up to New England by trailer, or just trawler around the Chesapeake bay. I also wanted something that could handle weather. So we got, what I consider, the biggest trawler-style boat we can tow? Another advantage of this is that we can pull it out to inspect/paint bottom, change zincs or just wash and wax. Where she lives in the winter is also much less complicated.

When we started examining the Ranger Tugs, we carefully analyzed each model in terms of what we wanted for our our next 5-8 years. We landed on the R31 CB. We can put enough people on for a cruise, but doesn't sleep a lot, too comfortably (with the exception of our state room, which we don't share)!

It has a big stern cockpit area in back. That is actually a favorite place for people to sleep, when the weather is right. There is a side birth (cave) that is big enough for two (not us, but others who want to crash on board), and the table drops down for two more to sleep.

Also, the newer R31 CBs, beginning with model year 2016, went to a hard top over the rear cockpit. This improved the seating on the command bridge, significantly. We can cruise with 6 people up top and then others scattered below. Also, the bench seats in the cockpit "kick out" opening up that space as well.

Good luck on your search. BTW, I'm a real PIA when it comes to be critical of cars, boats, riding lawn mowers, etc. These Ranger Tugs are very well build machines. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to share my experience about the R31CB.

Best,
Bobby

With a dry weight of 11,500 lbs for the Ranger Tug 31, which probably makes its all up towing weight near 15,000 lbs. That will take a full one ton pickup, preferably a dually, to tow safely.

David

Yes, that is correct. I am currently looking for an F250 with diesel, or a F350. I have a Ram 1500 ecodiesel that I use to pull it in and out and around the marina.
Bob

I have an NT 26 and it is just "trailerable". "Trailer movable" probably a better term, but really no problem. Have had it back and forth from E-WA a few times without issues, and it is nice to keep it on the trailer.

There is an Allweather for sale in Seattle area Craigslist. 26' diesel displacement trawler.

Just got my new truck to pull my Ranger Tug R31-CB. Yes, trailerable trawler!
991-albums878-picture5688.jpg

rpelton

I love the look of your rig - sounds like your boat and truck fill your needs very well. My wife and I have taken our 25 foot Acadia to Lake Michigan, the upper Mississippi and have played around in the Gulf. We are looking to maybe travel to the San Juan's this summer - crossing the great divide - with our rig.

How do you like your truck - do you have any info relative to economy, trailing comfort ect. That is a beautiful truck you have. Our boat is smaller as is our truck. We have a Titan XD with a smaller cummins diesel. It trailers our boat wonderfully, and in average conditions ( wind hulls etc) I can expect roughly 10 - ish mpg at 70 mph, towing around 9K. Our trailer does have EOH brakes as well.

I look forward to hearing how your truck does as well as reading about your adventures in your Tug.

Bob.

Attachments

• 20190612_200147.jpg
    20190612_200147.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 110
Depends on what your definition of "trailerable" is. Each state (and district of Canada) has different regulations on what you can tow without special oversize load permits. We researched this when selecting our boat and found that if we stay within the following, we're good everywhere:

Length: 28.5'
Width: 8.5'
Height: 13.5' (although under 11' is preferable for bridge clearances)

About the only boat we found that meets all the above, has a diesel inboard, can be towed with a 3/4 ton truck, and has all the comfort and features we desire, was the Ranger 27.

Now this isn't to say you can't trailer a boat larger than the above, but special permits and truck capacity become an issue.

Here is a pocket trawler

Please direct message me if you are interested in a 28 ft Hankinson Design Coastal Cruiser with trailer. Powered with a 3.0 Volvo Penta - Cobra Outdrive.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 328
Trawler is usually just a deck house style.

Be sure to check out std cruisers for perhaps superior interiors and deck space.

Does anyone add the anti-sway bars (like for big bumper pull RVs) when towing their trailerable trawler?

Let me answer your question based on the wisdom of trailer towers. But first let me define two terms: sway bar and weight distribution hitch. Those are two different functions, but often combined in the same device.

Weight distribution uses torsion bars to transfer weight from the rear of the tow vehicle (TV) to the front. Weight distribution hitches come in 500, 700, 1,000 lb and more static hitch weight ratings. Static weight means the hitch weight without the torsion bars hooked up.

Sway bars are friction devices that dampen sway. They are often part of the weight distribution hitch, but there are stand alone sway bars.

So with that out of the way, the use of sway or weight distribution hitch depends on how far you are pushing your TV's capabilities. As a rule of thumb you are pushing your TV capability when your trailer weight exceeds the TV weight.

My Pathfinder has a curb weight of about 4,000 lbs and it works fine to pull my 3,500 lb trailer with no weight distribution hitch. But if I were pulling a trailer up to 5,000 lbs, the manufacturer's limit, I would consider a light weight distribution hitch.

The need for sway bars is independent of the weight situation, but TVs with "loose" suspensions and a short wheelbase may need them.

Wow, I am finished. Enough said!!!

David

When the trailer weight gets to be more than the tow vehicle weight, sway bars

I have a Nordic Tug 26 on a trailer. The PO had it in Idaho and pulled it all over the west coast - Baja, lake Mead, even Prince Rupert once. It is 9’6” wide. I get a permit for $20/month from WA-DOT. It’s pretty easy tow albeit a little slow over the mountains. Duramax 2500.

If you’re looking for a queen bed probably not...

K

Attachments

• F194A03C-5725-4C4E-B7D7-95B3CC430801.jpg
    F194A03C-5725-4C4E-B7D7-95B3CC430801.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 58
You have to watch with weight distribution hitches. Some boat trailer manufacturers don't support their use on their trailers (generally AL ones). Weight distribution hitches are primarily designed for camping/RV trailers that have A-frame trailer frames.

Tug Ranger

Have you looked in the For Sale section here in the T.F. THere is a good looking ALbin 25 for sale right now with a trailer.
They have quite a little cult as they are seaworthy , no nonesense trawlers.
May not be to your taste but have a look.

Trailer trawler

Got one listed on this Forum, 1974 Carter Safari, twin turbo Volvo Penta, 2300 hrs, duo prop outdrives, $20K spent on it, 24 knots yesterday on San Francisco Bay, triple axle galvanized trailer, good condition, dual helm, seaworthy, one owner before me, $42K boat and trailer, 12 layers hand laid glass, built better than a Bertram, unique can't find this combo most anywhere. Love the boat, plans changed.
email is stuart@sfcharterboat.com

Attachments

• Bimini.jpg
    Bimini.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 30
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7506.JPG
    IMG_7506.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7603.JPG