leaking port light windows.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aarons6

Vessel Name
Fantasea
Vessel Make
1978 Californian 34 Sedan
on the front of the baot are 4 sliding windows.. 2 on each side.
1 is in the galley on the port, and 1 in the bathroom on the starboard and 2 are in the front state room on each side.

when it rains the ones on the port side leak..
they dont leak because the seals are bad, they are leaking because the rain is dripping from the deck on the inside slider and it really has nowhere to go.. so the channel fills up and they start dripping. the water really has nowhere to go.

the starboard ones dont leak, because the rain hits the outside piece.

how do you fix this? i noticed the new port light sliders have a rain shield.. the ones on my boat are flush.

is the only fix to replace them? do they make some kind of cap to go over the outside?

Last edited:
If you cannot find a way to block the water mechanically then adding a Stamoid cover over the outside will fix it. Just put the covers on when you aren’t on the boat and when it rains while you are on the boat. Stamoid is waterproof and in white it will still let in a lot of light.

i was researching and it seems there should be some drain holes or something for the water to run out. they might be painted over.

i guess i need to take one apart and inspect it.

both of the front windows are leaking for the same reasons.. the water runs down the glass and pools up at the bottom outside corner.

i took the outer wood trim off of one and used some silicon calk to reseal it, but this is temporary and next summer i should take the glass out and do the whole thing.

the bottom trim on the inside probably should be replaced too.

for the covers, do i just use those screw in snaps and just make one that fits over the window?

the side windows have a snap on canvas thing that has holes in it so you can see out.. do you know where to get that material?

Last edited:
If you have Pfifertex window covers you probably could use the same snaps on the boat and just replace the screen covers with the Stamoid covers. You can get Stamoid at Sailrite.com. Buy the single coated Stamoid and it is very easy to sew. You can cut it to size and buy 2” facing to trim around the edges. Add snaps and you are done.

Should be an easy job of duplicating them in Stamoid. You have a pattern. Like I said Stamoid sews very easily.

its not the side windows that need fixing tho.. its the little sliding windows.

the side windows dont get wet because there is a overhang on the outside.

i was researching and it seems there should be some drain holes or something for the water to run out. they might be painted over.

i guess i need to take one apart and inspect it.

Yes, there should be drain holes or slots for the water in the channel to run out.

hqdefault.jpg

Mine have slots similar to these. A lot of time they get painted over, or clogged from dirt collecting inside the track. Regular cleaning of the track helps a lot.

For a removable cover for windows we used this:

https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track-Flanged-White-96

You will need some of the welt also to sew to the curtain so it will slide into the track.

Rather than screws I used Sika 292. The track can be glued on above the window so any rain runs over the track and down the outside of the cover rather than under the cover.. Use of snaps at the cover top will still allow water to run under.

I do need to reglue every few years but for your application should not be a big deal. However, a thorough cleaning of both mounting surfaces on the hull and the track and that will be kept to a minimum.

You will still need some snaps below to secure the covers from flapping. Use Butyl tape to seal the screws.

For a removable cover for windows we used this:

https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track-Flanged-White-96

You will need some of the welt also to sew to the curtain so it will slide into the track.

Rather than screws I used Sika 292. The track can be glued on above the window so any rain runs over the track and down the outside of the cover rather than under the cover.. Use of snaps at the cover top will still allow water to run under.

I do need to reglue every few years but for your application should not be a big deal. However, a thorough cleaning of both mounting surfaces on the hull and the track and that will be kept to a minimum.

You will still need some snaps below to secure the covers from flapping. Use
Butyl tape to seal the screws.

i think i understand.. that would work well.. you can even open the sliders and get some air flow

The track is keder, Sailrite has both the track and the welt.

Back
Top Bottom