What's happened to Cruising Sea Venture couple ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquabelle

Guru
I was enjoying their YouTube clips but they haven't posted for 6 months. I hope they are OK...does anyone know what's happened ?

The boat is moored at the Port of Everett marina. I was just across the waterway from them in guest moorage a couple of weeks ago. Saw Rosie walking around and reading up top on the flybridge..

Last edited:
Everybody needs a break sometimes.

I was enjoying their YouTube clips but they haven't posted for 6 months. I hope they are OK...does anyone know what's happened ?

They are members of our yacht club. They are fine. I believe they are just too busy right now to make videos to post.

I was really looking forward to being a spectator on the circumnavigation.

I hope it still happens. I really enjoy them!

I suspect the Golden Age of YouTube (at least from the content producers perspective) is over. Content providers don't get paid what they used to. Google has made an ever increasing series of 'fine print' justifying why payment is reduced and content is demonetized.

This concept of demonetization is hysterical, since the volume of adds in You Tube has increased exponentially, yet more and more content is demonetized. It's a technicality that justifies Google keeping the profit.

The amount of time needed to shoot, edit in order to produce a decent finished product is astounding. Nobody wants to work for free.

I suspect the Golden Age of YouTube (at least from the content producers perspective) is over. Content providers don't get paid what they used to. Google has made an ever increasing series of 'fine print' justifying why payment is reduced and content is demonetized.

This concept of demonetization is hysterical, since the volume of adds in You Tube has increased exponentially, yet more and more content is demonetized. It's a technicality that justifies Google keeping the profit.

The amount of time needed to shoot, edit in order to produce a decent finished product is astounding. Nobody wants to work for free.

^^This

When YouTube changed the rules for monetization a year or so ago, lot's of the smaller sailing/boating channels (and a few big ones too) went away. it is a shame.

Tony Fleming has a video dedicated to his video production. It was a time consuming process. Seemed like a ton of work.

Youtube has become a pain, especially if one is looking at it to make money. I was planning to post my boat build there, but I'm not so sure I'll do that. I have tried my hand at editing and it was not good and took forever for me to get it done. 30 minutes of video took me six hours to get it down to 15 minutes. I never posted the video. I felt to bad about it and nixed the video. Some of it was poor planning on my part before doing the video.

I was a documentary filmmaker for 25 + years. A typical 1-hour program could take me up to three months to edit picture and soundtrack, so I totally understand how time consuming those sailing vlogs can be for their makers. They certainly deserve to reap the benefit from ad revenue based on content they create. Shame on YouTube for exploiting their efforts.

If they were pros versus amateur sure...but most people weren't looking for cinematography from these people...just things they didn't do or see on their boats.

Unlike in the old days, nowadays....having even a phone taking video and editing it is 10X easier than years ago.

Plus Youtube provided them with something that they would never happened otherwise.

I have watched a few Youtube videos...but I never would have bought a homemade video off the shelf in a marine store.

making a few coins I can see...but a living out of it unless they produce cinematography (which would be a waste on Youtube) isn't what I would call cheating them

Last edited:
Most of them use Patreon now to make more pocket money. My wife and I watch several of the sailboat vlogs and wondered how they get the time and energy to make and edit them. On our trip we were so tired by the end of the day we would have had no interest in editing a video.

I was a documentary filmmaker for 25 + years. A typical 1-hour program could take me up to three months to edit picture and soundtrack, so I totally understand how time consuming those sailing vlogs can be for their makers. They certainly deserve to reap the benefit from ad revenue based on content they create. Shame on YouTube for exploiting their efforts.
I could never do that job. I would stay so frustrated that I would lose interest pretty quickly. I'm affraid that will happen if I go the youtube route. I would do it more for fun and to show other people the DIY route can be done by the average person.

I could never do that job. I would stay so frustrated that I would lose interest pretty quickly. I'm affraid that will happen if I go the youtube route. I would do it more for fun and to show other people the DIY route can be done by the average person.

I have been a producer for many years. What I learned is that editors are a unique bunch. Quiet and focused when they get in The Zone.

I have been a producer for many years. What I learned is that editors are a unique bunch. Quiet and focused when they get in The Zone.
:thumb: I have a cousin that is like that when he edits videos. He does mashups for a company. I don't know what they use the videos for. Never thought to ask.

It is easier to make YT videos than it used to be, technically at least; a lot has changed in the last 15 years. My channel has almost 30,000 subscribers, and nearly 3,000,000 views. We have over a hundred videos there. But I made a conscious decision to not monetise the channel—it's free information on our work, in self-contained 5–10 minute programs, and not simple teasers for pay programs, as many YouTube videos are.

We have a pay-download channel on Vimeo; this is where we make money (that, my books, and workshops). We regard YT as a loss leader, as well as a way of making our work available to those who can't afford the pay downloads (which are inexpensive anyway). Volume is the key to making a living off the net.

In the studio (first floor of our house in Greenwell Point) I use a four-camera live-to-disk mixing and sound recording setup—we can record an hour program, top and tail it, and upload to the net in a couple of hours. We do not do multicam editing any more; this live-to-disk approach has revolutionised our work. We were early adopters of the BlackMagic Design ATEM studio mixers.

As for making programs about living on our boat: I simply cannot imagine how people do this—at least at our stage of experience, we are too busy actually navigating and driving the boat! If I were to make programs aboard some time in the future, I would use a number of small, fixed cameras plus a body-mounted one for the skipper's point of view, and use the latest BMD portable mixer to cut it while recording. And taking a third person with us who could do the mixing would be a lot safer, I think.

Most of them use Patreon now to make more pocket money. My wife and I watch several of the sailboat vlogs and wondered how they get the time and energy to make and edit them. On our trip we were so tired by the end of the day we would have had no interest in editing a video.

That's how I feel. I still have hours and hours of Go Pro footage that I've done nothing with.
Even knowing that many people would be interested in seeing how boring the middle of the ocean is, I simply don't have the patience to even review them.

Maybe one day I'll find someone who is interested in editing and reviewing them, just to make sure I'm not embarrassing myself, but I know that having done the trip once, I'm not doing it again by video.

Sea Venture

I am happy to see that Jim and Rosy are back with their Cruising Sea Venture YouTube series.

Cruising Sea Venture is back!

We are back posting videos!

We were able to transit through Canada this summer and are now in Wrangell Alaska - where, yes - we plan to cruise through the winter.

We were away from YouTube for awhile because we own a commercial building that had a major fire and we ended up having to take time to rebuild the building.

We have always approached YouTube as a hobby, but would like to have more subscribers. Each 20 minute video takes about 30 hours of post production time. We are currently trying to post a video every Thursday.

We are also trying to end each video with a Q&A session.

We have done recent videos on our swim platform replacement, a major electrical upgrade we completed and of course, our summer cruising in Alaska.

Sea Venture is currently out of the water getting a major hull modification - the addition of a bulbous bow.

You can find our latest video below.

Thanks,
Jim and Rosy

Back
Top Bottom