Thread: Docking Stories
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Jim Spence

City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V
Docking Stories

So I'm sitting at the outside bar at my marina enjoying a nice alcoholic beverage. A nice shiny new 20 ft cabin cruiser is coming in. It caught my eye because it was darn near on a plane in the fairway. Nice looking lady sitting on the bow. Boats heading in a little fast. Lady jumps off on to dock just before husband slams into reverse to keep from hitting it. Lady has no dock line in her hand and just stands there. After 3rd try husband gets boat close enough to shut it down and get off on to dock, still no dock lines in sight. (no fenders out either) Husband stands there with funny look on his face holding onto boats hand rail. Hmmm I think I'm supposed to do something to make my boat stay here.

We ended up rounding up some dock lines for them and tied the boat up. Brand new boat, zero boating experience, not a clue.

And then there is my exneighbor, 60ft house boat. (he hit my boat 5 times) just before the marina asked him to leave, he left the dock and took the power pedistal and water piping with him. broke off a 2 inch line and put every one on the dock with no water for the rest of the day. He stops in the fairway, looks at a couple of us standing on the dock, shrugs and yells "I'll call the marina" then leaves for the week end. Was really sorry to see him go!!
Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote