Fuel Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiDHo

Guru
The Volvo TMD31A secondary fuel filter that is mounted low on the right side of the engine. I have been using a Napa 3358 filter at about $20, Volvo wantes five times that amount, Typical ! This filter is a screw on metal canister type filter, it comes with a small rubber washer, it looks like a water hose washer. Anyone have an idea what it’s for ?
Also to get this filter to stop leaking I have to crank down very hard with a filter wrench, three quarter turn after seating the gasket doesn’t do it with this filter. And yes I coat the seal ring with a light coat of grease. Has anyone else had this experience installing a new fuel filter ? :banghead:

Last edited:
The Volvo TMD31A secondary fuel filter that is mounted low on the right side of the engine. I have been using a Napa 3358 filter at about $20, Volvo wantes five times that amount, Typical ! This filter is a screw on metal canister type filter, it comes with a small rubber washer, it looks like a water hose washer. Anyone have an idea what it’s for ?
Also to get this filter to stop leaking I have to crank down very hard with a filter wrench, three quarter turn after seating the gasket doesn’t do it with this filter. And yes I coat the seal ring with a light coat of grease. Has anyone else had this experience installing a new fuel filter ? :banghead:
The small rubber washer goes on the threaded tube you screw the filter onto. Many fuel filters use a gasket seal there as opposed to oil filters that don't.

Regarding excessive tightening, check the threaded tube where the washer goes. There may be 2 washers on there by mistake or the washer that is OEM may be thicker than the one for the NAPA (Wicks) filter requiring you to crush it more to seal the filter.

Ted

Yep, oring is to seal around the threaded outlet so dirty fuel won't bypass. As far as the leaks, some of those castings have rough surface where the outer seal sits, takes some snugging to get a seal.

NAPA usually uses Wix as a filter mfr, generally considered good quality. Label should ID the mfr either on box or the filter itself. If you see Wix or Donaldson, usually good stuff.

Thanks OC Diver and Ski, I will take it off and check it.

Just finished removing and installing a new fuel filter NAPA 3588. I think the old filter was defective, maybe a slightly warped sealing surface. The replacement was installed the same as the other, greased the rubber seal ring ( install the seal around the threaded entry this time). I estimate I tightened it with a filter strap wrench about 35 ftlbs and it’s dry as a bone. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom