View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
rsn48
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
So my two cents and I'm about to call Campbell River for you after getting off the phone calling Ladysmith marina for you. You are going to need to prepare to think outside the box and live outside the box, so to speak. Most Marinas in the Pacific North West and coastal BC are older so the number of larger slips is minimal. And most are not only full but have waiting lists. Where I moor my boat in Comox has an extensive waiting list and 10 % of the patrons are from Alberta, so what you are proposing about flying in to stay on your boat is being done on Vancouver Island more than you think.

So places like Victoria, Nanaimo, Campbell River are the first marina locations that come to mind when folks start searching, whether from Vancouver or Seattle or Tim Buck Two. And as you can guess they are difficult to get into and more difficult as your boat grows in length. However I got into a marina that was difficult to get into, my first piece of advise is if you find a location, book it up now and pay for time you aren't there, maybe they can sublet. My boat is on the hard so I have been subletting for the last year while my refits are completed.

So much to my surprise I called Campbell River Marina at 1 250 287-2614 and the DO have a spot. You will pay winter seasonal and recreational seasonal, kind of like how many RV parks work (translation: a way to get more money out of you). Campbell River is a jump off for Desolation Sound, the Broughton's and Alaska so it is packed in the summer. The town has good services and trades that can work on your boat.

The other one is Ladysmith (past home of Pamela Anderson...lol), they don't have a spot available but I would call them, they will at the end of October but it is only available for a couple of months, but it sounds like he would try and work you in after that. Ladysmith has good services and trades and is a jumping off point for the Gulph Islands.

And I couldn't find a number for Deep Bay so I might stop by in person in a few days and see what is there.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote