Getting rid of some Thru-Hulls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
I've got a handful of thru-hulls that are not utilized that I'd like to glass over. I believe that there's been a discussion of this before and am looking for some resource to accomplish this. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks

West Epoxy has a reference guide online I think.

Hard to beat.

Though like most things in boating there is more than one way of doing it, you will get many opinions.

.....and some will tell you the right way, wrong way and how many others are just getting aways with something.

I agree with West epoxy system, I use it a lot. It is stronger and will bond stronger than poly resins. You should taper both the inside and the outside. Generally about 12:1 taper. Get your glass cut/torn to size with the biggest in first and have at it. Keep in mind that epoxy doesn’t work well with mat instead of cloth. Epoxy doesn’t wet out the binder in mat really well. I use 1708 for most structural work. Don’t lay it up too thick at one time because it can get too hot and have thermal runaway. If you are doing multiple layups with epoxy you should wash it down with water to remove any amine blush prior to the next layup. Fill the hole up and then fair with thickened epoxy. You can’t other fillers over epoxy. Good luck and have fun.

Closed 4 on my boat. Dished out the area from the bottom to resemble a tea cup saucer. Them built back the area with numerous layers of progressively larger circles of biaxial cloth and West System. Then repeated the process from the top. Not terribly difficult and worked perfectly.

Ted

This guy knows a good deal. His name is Teal. He uses Nidacore. I have used ply soaked in epoxy. The rest is the same as I do.

Hmmm, you may want to keep one or two unused through-hulls, incase you are boarded by pirates and find a need to scuttle the boat
CHUCKLE

The guy in the Youtube explains the"preferred" method of filling solid hulls versus using the "plug" method.

2 different techniques....but not a big deal.

This guy knows a good deal. His name is Teal. He uses Nidacore. I have used ply soaked in epoxy. The rest is the same as I do.

Damn, his wife is sanding overhead like it’s nothing. She’s definitely a keeper!

The guy in the Youtube explains the"preferred" method of filling solid hulls versus using the "plug" method.

2 different techniques....but not a big deal.

:thumb:
Damn, his wife is sanding overhead like it’s nothing. She’s definitely a keeper!

They have owned boats and cruised extensively between Washington state and Mexico. Linh is driven to get back into the open water. As long as Teal keeps pushing along, she'll be right there helping move their dream forward.

.....you do have to be careful of youtube "how to's"...not everyone that sounds confident has a clue.

FORTY TWO thru hulls in the Leopard 46 next door? I know they're cats so they're approximately doubled, but man oh man. Their hulls are Swiss cheese. Let's see, I have:

Anchor locker drain (1)
Fore and aft A/C (2)
A/C intake (1 for both units)
Bilge pumps (3)
Galley sink (1)
Shower sump discharge, fore and aft (2)
Water tank vents (2)
Holding tank vent (1)
Fuel tank vent (1)
Macerator discharge (1)
Generator cooling water intake and discharge (2)

Okay, up to seventeen and I'm not even done yet. Guess that's not so out of whack.

Closed 4 on my boat. Dished out the area from the bottom to resemble a tea cup saucer. Them built back the area with numerous layers of progressively larger circles of biaxial cloth and West System. Then repeated the process from the top. Not terribly difficult and worked perfectly.

Ted

I also glassed up several on my boat using this method but with polyester resin and 11/2 oz mat material followed by gel coat. Easy job.

I would keep every thru hull that has a proper seacock bolted to it.

The next owner may be delighted.

Spare thru hulls? Something has been removed? I wonder what it is and do you want it back?

Agreed.
This is my solution:
Takes a heartbeat, can be undone in a heartbeat.
I already changed my mind on one when I re-routed my holding tank lines.

Attachments

• cap.JPG
    cap.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom