Getting to Green Turtle Cay to check on damaged boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
So far I’ve still been unable to get to GTC to check on my boat. I had a flight arranged Saturday the 14th with a seat on a charter plane that would have given me about 5 hours to check on the boat, but that was when then TS Humberto was due to hit the area and I didn’t feel like flying into that, and even if we could land I didn’t know if I could get a boat ride over from Treasure Cay (where the mostly destroyed airport is) to GTC, where the boat is and back in 5 hours.

I did get an “on the ground” report that the boat is still upright on its stands in the yard, but the mast is broken, solar panels are blown off, and I’m sure some other damage I don’t know about. With the mast damaged so badly I’m now wondering if the boat has filled full of rain water leaking past the mast boot. I also still don’t know if sea water got into the boat. If water did in fact get inside, I can’t imagine how bad the interior is now after going on almost three weeks of hot muggy weather. I talked to the insurance company agent yesterday (not the adjuster) and she said I should prepare myself for it to be totaled. The adjuster is still trying to get a surveyor there to take a look at the boat, but he has also had trouble getting there obviously.

I have secured a berth on a sailboat leaving Florida later this month, or as soon as the weather looks clear enough to make it there and back. It would be a two day trip to get there, and they are planning to stay three days and deliver some supplies. The boat owners have been to GTC and other Bahamas islands many times over the years so they are experienced, and their boat/home seems up to the task from pictures and description. It’s a 48’ pilothouse ketch.

However now, after the insurance agent said that, I’m starting to wonder why I’m going over there. My wife thinks a 7 day cruise with some folks I don’t know is a little crazy (she doesn’t want to go). I didn’t really think so, but maybe I’m being too emotional and ignoring the crazy. My initial reason for wanting to go was to rig up and aux solar panel I have in the boat to keep the batteries from being discharged, but it’s been so long now that may have already happened? Also, I wanted to get a few things off the boat (some small electronics like VHF handheld, Garmin Inreach, my drone, GoPro, etc). I also have a new life raft inside the pilothouse in its soft case I could salvage, along with my outboard (if still there) and nice Rocna anchor since I’m going over by sailboat (if they have room for all that big stuff). So maybe $5000-6000 worth of stuff I could get off the boat. Is that worth it? Suppose I could claim some of that on insurance however.

What say you folks? Should I stay or should I go now? I need to make an unemotional decision.

Last edited:
What would you be doing with your time if you don’t take a week to go to the Bahamas and check on the boat?? Other than worrying about the boat?

Glad I don’t have to worry about it. I would probably go. But then I’m retired. I would try to get whatever background information I could get on the boat and Crew you’re planning to go with.

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that I’m retired, so no real time constraints.

Last edited:
Depending on what you left powered up (refrigeration, etc.) it's possible that your power draw has been low enough that there's still power for the bilge pumps to take care of any rain water leakage, etc.

Personally, I'd go check it out. You'll be happier knowing what shape things are in and if nothing else, it'll be a fun adventure considering the sail out and back.

Nothing powered up other than the bilge pumps. Batteries are four year old Lifeline AGMs that were still in good shape- my big solar panels that blew off were keeping them at 100%.

Well since we're talking crazy....

Have you looked into what it would cost to rent a twin engine center console from West Palm for three or four days - if they will allow you to take it out of the country and to the Bahamas?

Half a day there, a couple of days there (if you can even find a place to stay), and a half day back.

The thought of renting a fast boat crossed my mind, and I’ve been trying to hitch a ride on some of the boats that went over delivering supplies, but they were all just long one day trips there and back. There is really no place to stay on GTC or Treasure from what I’m reading. That’s why the sailboat idea with a place to sleep sounded good. I could possibly sleep in my boat if it’s dry (I have some 12v fans), but what are the odds it’s actually dry?

Nothing powered up other than the bilge pumps. Batteries are four year old Lifeline AGMs that were still in good shape- my big solar panels that blew off were keeping them at 100%.

In that case, it's unlikely the batteries are dead at this point and even if things are damp from water that's gotten in, you probably don't have any standing water in the boat.

At this moment, crossing to GTC isn't much of a good option. We just returned home from NC last night and would love to get out on the water but no decent conditions for the next week. Gets better then.

Now, I'd want to take the first decent means over there, whether flight or boat or combination, but a long sail with people I don't know and uncertainty about getting back wouldn't be my choice.

Had you considered getting to West End and then from there getting a fishing charter captain or some other means to take you to GTC for a day? West End is very accessible right now and easy to clear in there as well. Perhaps talk to the people at Old Bahama Bay. I'm like you in that I'd like to see, just to see if the boat is salvageable. Salvaging $5000-6000 worth of items isn't my reasoning as it could cost you $3000 or more to get there and back, especially if you had to use a charter.

There have been many boats to go with supplies from Miami to GTC and spend a day or two there. You might check with them and see if any of them could use an extra hand. Perhaps check with the Global Empowerment Mission in Miami.

[Edit: never mind, I was thinking of the road from Little to Great Abaco and the bridge there - you can't get from WE to Abaco by road]

Last edited:
Is chartering a helicopter an option?

Is chartering a helicopter an option?

There are helicopter charter services in South Florida that will take you to the Bahamas. South Beach Helicopters is one. Since they say their one day trips start as low as $1900, I'd assume that would be Bimini and the trip being discussed would be more in the range of $5000-6000.

Seaplane would probably be significantly cheaper than a helicopter.

I looked into some charter flights. Island Tyme seemed to be the most affordable, and it was $2200 round trip. Would be nice to split that cost with a few folks. Anyone want to go? [emoji51]

I looked into some charter flights. Island Tyme seemed to be the most affordable, and it was $2200 round trip. Would be nice to split that cost with a few folks. Anyone want to go? [emoji51]

Can they go into GTC now? If so, that's your best bet.

Yes, they can go to Treasure now. Then I have to take a boat across to GTC. I think a ferry is running now.

Yeah, this sounds better as far as time for sure, but don’t know if I can lug back a life raft and other big stuff, but will check.

Hey cardude.

I've been thinking about your situation, and I really feel for you. Our old went through a storm there at the yard, not as bad as Dorian, obviously, and I was sick about it. I don't blame you for wanting to go.

O e thought, have you considered tieing it into a volunteer relief trip? Do so.e work on your boat for a day or so, then lend a hand with other things? I'm planning on going over with all hearts and hands sometime in the 4rh quarter of this year, as soon as they have a trip organized.

Good luck.

This sailboat trip is also a supply/relief trip. They planned on loading the boat up with supplies and helping out a few days. They know some folks on GTC.

Greetings,
Mr. dude et al. I must be out of the loop. Didn't Bahamian officials request that all but organized "professional" relief stay away from the severely effected areas? NOT to dissuade you, in ANY way, Mr. dude but might you be adding to any confusion there?

Pardon me if I sound a bit cold. But it does sound like you are throwing it out for other peoples opinion. But depending on how long you have owned the boat if you main reason for going to an attempt to salvage 5 to 6 grand of stuff, then without having a strong emotional attachment to the boat, I would let the insurance company deal with it first. You do state the outboard is probably gone. The same may be with the liferaft too.

Having water inside for 3 weeks will not totally trash the boat hull. But your interior parts , on board engine and related parts coupled with the need to completely rewire the boat even with the fluff and puff stuff destroyed, I would cut my losses.

This could eat up the reported 175,000 ?value easily, forget about the down time for rehab. What year is the boat? Ad I would not go over with anyone that you do not know or have spent any time with on another boat. You are at the mercy of them and you do not really know what you may or may not find.

By the way my sons FIL has been making some trips over and will give him a call later this evening

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. dude et al. I must be out of the loop. Didn't Bahamian officials request that all but organized "professional" relief stay away from the severely effected areas? NOT to dissuade you, in ANY way, Mr. dude but might you be adding to any confusion there?

GTC is a bit different than the Marsh Harbour and Hopetown situation. It's accessible, there are some buildings standing, people there ready to continue and rebuild. Basically, there is something to rebuild. So, there isn't the chaos either. I've communicated with people who have been there. Not the confusion in GTC as the others. They've had relief vessels lined up coming in from West End.

Your reaction was mine with someone I knew was going, but he went and had no issues.

I believe the same for Hope Town.

FWIW I would go!
I make friends EZ
I have done a dozen organized trips with people I don't know to foreign countries to serve less fortunate. And many to Asia.
I would meet them for coffee or ? before hand to get a read on who I am traveling with.

If the vessel is upright and water got in, wouldn't the pumps handle most if not all of that?
Even with the solar panels disconnected it might be a shot that the pumps ran for a long time before batteries went down.

There is some value in knowing. With the possibility of mitigating any further damage. And if the damage discovered is in fact total, then there isn't much to do but walk away. But you would know!
And you could bring some relief to the area via the ketch. I gotta believe and extra hand would be welcome.

If you got the loose things off of your vessel I think that would be a bonus.

Just my thoughts and good luck as you have had your share of the other.

FWIW I would go!
I make friends EZ
I have done a dozen organized trips with people I don't know to foreign countries to serve less fortunate. And many to Asia.
I would meet them for coffee or ? before hand to get a read on who I am traveling with.

If the vessel is upright and water got in, wouldn't the pumps handle most if not all of that?
Even with the solar panels disconnected it might be a shot that the pumps ran for a long time before batteries went down.

There is some value in knowing. With the possibility of mitigating any further damage. And if the damage discovered is in fact total, then there isn't much to do but walk away. But you would know!
And you could bring some relief to the area via the ketch. I gotta believe and extra hand would be welcome.

If you got the loose things off of your vessel I think that would be a bonus.

Just my thoughts and good luck as you have had your share of the other.

Thanks. This is pretty much how I was thinking about it.

If, big IF, you got down there and everything is mostly ok and the boat could be motored back to the US, would there be anything stopping you from come back in her? I know the downed mast and missing solar panels. Would that violate some clause with the insurance company since they have been contacted?

The yard is still not open. Boats still strewn all about, flipped on their sides, some upside down. It’s going to be awhile until I can get it launched I’m afraid. I don’t think it will be by the end of the month when this sailboat trip might happen.

And yes, I think I definitely need to wait until the insurance claim is processed before I move the boat.

Just do it. There`s a lot of you in that boat, you need to see for yourself. The sailboat trip may be adventurous, but gives you accommodation you can`t get otherwise, and you will be no burden on the location. As you see the sailboat departure still weeks away something may intervene, more info on the state of the boat, a better way to get there,or something else. One way or another you need to resolve it.

You have started the claim with the insurance company so you did everything right, salvaging some pieces I personally wouldn't do. Now checking it out I certainly get to get a feel is this a totaling of the vessel or restore job.
I truly wish you all the best and thankfully you are in good shape, no so much for the island residence...

There was a good show on the Weather Channel tonight called Surviving Dorian. They will run it again Sept. 25 at 8:00 EDT. if anyone is interested in seeing it. A fellow told his story about the storm and the boat that he lost after doing 67,000 miles on it.

Thanks. I will set a reminder to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom