My Argentine Licence equivalence in US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neurodoc

Vessel Name
Fitzcarraldo
Vessel Make
55 Ft Steel Trawler
Hi there, after spending most of this year taking courses at the Argentine Coast Guard I am about to have my last exam in a couple of days.
If I succeed, I will get a "Patron Especial Profesional" Licence. This is a professional licence that will allow me to be in charge of a vessel up to 20 meters (70Ft) , carry up to 12 passengers up to 150 miles from the coast. Despite being an MD I also had to do RCP and First aids traning and STCW + a Radio-operator course.
Did not find equivalences to USCG licences.What is your guess?

25 or 50 or 100 Ton Master Captains License.

Requirements For All Original Licenses

Physical taken within 12 months
Approved drug test taken within 6 months
Approved CPR and First Aid taken within 12 months

Requirements For Master License

Master of Vessels on Not More Than 100 Gross Registered Tons
90 days service in the last 3 years on vessels of appropriate tonnage.
Near Coastal: 720 days of service steam, motor, or auxiliary sail vessels on ocean or near coastal waters (360 days inland is acceptable)
Great Lakes and Inland: 360 days service steam, motor, sail/aux. sail vessels including 90 days on Great Lakes waters
Inland: 360 days service steam, motor, aux. sail vessels on any waters
Rivers: 360 days service steam, motor, aux. sail vessels on any waters
Sailing Endorsement: Must submit evidence of 360 days of service on sail or auxiliary sail vessels (service obtained before license OK).
Towing Endorsement: Must request and pass towing endorsement examination or complete course.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I had found it on the web, but did not quite understand it because (as I got it) there are 3 categories for "Master", but there are also "Captains" and "Skippers" It is not clear to me which licence´s rank is higher.

Or is it that "Master" is the formal name of the licence´s rank, but people call them Captains and Skippers?

Mi Licence is "Patrón" (Master) and in my country the highest is "Piloto" (Pilot).

Last edited:
Hi there, after spending most of this year taking courses at the Argentine Coast Guard I am about to have my last exam in a couple of days.
If I succeed, I will get a "Patron Especial Profesional" Licence. This is a professional licence that will allow me to be in charge of a vessel up to 20 meters (70Ft) , carry up to 12 passengers up to 150 miles from the coast. Despite being an MD I also had to do RCP and First aids traning and STCW + a Radio-operator course.
Did not find equivalences to USCG licences.What is your guess?

Do you know the MCA equivalent? If there is one, it would allow you to operate. I don't know if your license is more like a six pack or a Captain's with tonnage. I'm thinking it's a Argentina equivalent of a six pack (but 12 passengers) and, if so, it's not a transferable license.

Why are you asking this question? I'm asking that because you'd only be able to captain a foreign vessel visiting the US as US law won't allow you to be hired to captain a US vessel. So, what use were you looking to make of it? This comes back to the MCA equivalent as you'd likely be using it on a boat flagged outside the US.

One resource you might call for information is MPT in Fort Lauderdale. They have students come in with many different licenses.

25 or 50 or 100 Ton Master Captains License.

Requirements For All Original Licenses

Physical taken within 12 months
Approved drug test taken within 6 months
Approved CPR and First Aid taken within 12 months

Requirements For Master License

Master of Vessels on Not More Than 100 Gross Registered Tons
90 days service in the last 3 years on vessels of appropriate tonnage.
Near Coastal: 720 days of service steam, motor, or auxiliary sail vessels on ocean or near coastal waters (360 days inland is acceptable)
Great Lakes and Inland: 360 days service steam, motor, sail/aux. sail vessels including 90 days on Great Lakes waters
Inland: 360 days service steam, motor, aux. sail vessels on any waters
Rivers: 360 days service steam, motor, aux. sail vessels on any waters
Sailing Endorsement: Must submit evidence of 360 days of service on sail or auxiliary sail vessels (service obtained before license OK).
Towing Endorsement: Must request and pass towing endorsement examination or complete course.

You left out one key for him. You must be a citizen or permanent resident to get a US license.

Do you know the MCA equivalent? If there is one, it would allow you to operate. I don't know if your license is more like a six pack or a Captain's with tonnage. I'm thinking it's a Argentina equivalent of a six pack (but 12 passengers) and, if so, it's not a transferable license.

Why are you asking this question? I'm asking that because you'd only be able to captain a foreign vessel visiting the US as US law won't allow you to be hired to captain a US vessel. So, what use were you looking to make of it? This comes back to the MCA equivalent as you'd likely be using it on a boat flagged outside the US.

One resource you might call for information is MPT in Fort Lauderdale. They have students come in with many different licenses.

Hi, I actually don´t know he MCA equivalent... but have the feeling it should be way more than a six pack.

I am asking this question because the other day I was having a coffee while scratching may head and remembering Marilyn (my first girlfriend) and suddenly a question arose: what is the equivalent of "Patrón Especial" in the US?? ... just that...:)

On the other hand, I am extremely well where I am and have no intentions to look for a job anywhere in the planet, nor would do it for a million bucks (hmmm, well, not so sure about the latter)

You left out one key for him. You must be a citizen or permanent resident to get a US license.
Hey, relax! I earn a lot of money in my country, and have no intention to look for a job in yours! Being a Neurosurgeon, it would not make much sense to look for a job as a Captain of someone else´s boat... right?
BTW: took the course at the coast guard just because I enjoyed it a lot!

Hey, relax! I earn a lot of money in my country, and have no intention to look for a job in yours! Being a Neurosurgeon, it would not make much sense to look for a job as a Captain of someone else´s boat... right?
BTW: took the course at the coast guard just because I enjoyed it a lot!

I'm relaxed. He just didn't include that requirement. Had no idea what was behind your question at the time.

RYA and MCA have a Yachtmaster Coastal and it is up to 200gt/24meters up to 150 miles offshore. That would seem the likely equivalent of your license. That would be the equivalent of a USCG 200 Ton Near Coastal. USCG licenses are only good for use in the US unless they carry an STCW endorsement. The appropriate STCW endorsement would be Master of Vessel Less Than 500 GT Limited to Near Coastal Waters. That would allow use of a US 200 Ton anywhere.

You took the course for the same reasons we did.

He just asked if there was anything equivalent.

Hi, I actually don´t know he MCA equivalent... but have the feeling it should be way more than a six pack.

I am asking this question because the other day I was having a coffee while scratching may head and remembering Marilyn (my first girlfriend) and suddenly a question arose: what is the equivalent of "Patrón Especial" in the US?? ... just that...:)

On the other hand, I am extremely well where I am and have no intentions to look for a job anywhere in the planet, nor would do it for a million bucks (hmmm, well, not so sure about the latter)

Wifey B: Marilyn anything like Marilyn Monroe? Oh but she's no longer your gf. Shame.

I thought Patron was Tequila. :rofl:

Hubby's last post explains I think but I'm posting simply because I always wanted the perfect time to say the following.

Figuring this out should be simple. It's not brain surgery, you know. :rofl::hide::devil:

I couldn't resist it.

I'm relaxed. He just didn't include that requirement. Had no idea what was behind your question at the time.

RYA and MCA have a Yachtmaster Coastal and it is up to 200gt/24meters up to 150 miles offshore. That would seem the likely equivalent of your license. That would be the equivalent of a USCG 200 Ton Near Coastal. USCG licenses are only good for use in the US unless they carry an STCW endorsement. The appropriate STCW endorsement would be Master of Vessel Less Than 500 GT Limited to Near Coastal Waters. That would allow use of a US 200 Ton anywhere.

You took the course for the same reasons we did.
Thanks, for your reply! I have the STCW and sail endorsements ( I am actually a "Patron" for sail and motor vessels)

Wifey B: Marilyn anything like Marilyn Monroe? Oh but she's no longer your gf. Shame.

I thought Patron was Tequila. :rofl:

Hubby's last post explains I think but I'm posting simply because I always wanted the perfect time to say the following.

Figuring this out should be simple. It's not brain surgery, you know. :rofl::hide::devil:

I couldn't resist it.
We neurosurgeons say: it is not rocket science! (could´nt resist it either)

Last edited:
The STCW endorsement is complicated because there are lots of them. The most common is STCW-95 if I recall correctly, and is the basic safety training. But there are further endorsements for mates, masters, and all sorts of positions on a vessel. The STCW endorsements are the internationally standardized and normalized licenses and training, with reciprocal acceptance among participating countries.

oops: as I almost never have Tequila, so I did get me some time to understand the joke about the Patron "Tequila brand" Patron means "boss" in Spanish (same as "Master" in English)

The STCW endorsement is complicated because there are lots of them. The most common is STCW-95 if I recall correctly, and is the basic safety training. But there are further endorsements for mates, masters, and all sorts of positions on a vessel. The STCW endorsements are the internationally standardized and normalized licenses and training, with reciprocal acceptance among participating countries.

Yes, the 95 is the basic which is required for all, but the Master and Engineer endorsements are much more. With STCW endorsements then, USCG, MCA and RYA and any other nation licensing are equivalent. Now if they could just all drop their individual licensing and go with one it would be so nice. STCW is close, but take it all the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom