Anyone Else Have A Collection Of These?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I may have to pour all the residue amounts into one and take to the hazardous materials depot and clean the rest out for use!

Because this is now beyond ridiculous!

Attachments

• IMG_20190916_174555010-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190916_174555010-1008x756.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 139
I have 3 for fuel for my garden tractor and home generator. I also have 3 for used oil from the boat engine oil changes. But nowhere near as an impressive collection as yours.

Boy do I have! 30 + gals of 25 yr old diesel, 4-5 five gal jugs of mixed paint thinner, paint and god knows what else, ancient partially full paint cans innumerable, 3 five gal jugs of old motor oil, partially used paint spray cans of paint innumerable, several containers of old mixed and unmixed gasoline, and the list goes on. I'd gladly pay the fees but hazardous waste disposal sites are absent in our area. If we ever have to sell and move we'll be in big doo doo. Plan is to die here and let the kids figure it out.

I have 6 for mower gasoline for total of 30 gallons. (4 acres to mow). 4 yellow ones for diesel for tractor and b/u generator. 4 other Nato standard 5 gallon gas cans, and about 5 or 6 cans of varying sizes without the little yellow plug for the end. . . . . Of course no one sells just the end cap . . . . and the new (SAFE) fuel spouts are a PITA and break often as well . . .
Forgot one dedicated 5 gallon gas can for non-ethanol gas for weed wackers, backpack blower, and pressure washer . . .

I have about 4 or 5 plus a yellow diesel one. Mowers and Hurricane Genset. You have a real collection going there. I discard the SAFE spouts and buy the old school ones that work and don't leak. I bought 2 more from GasSpouts.com recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sad thing is I have a yard service, and no home generator.

These are all bought for the boat.

I just can't remember buying that many - do you think they breed?

I have just three. One is regular gas for the lawn tractor and car emergencies, five gal. One is a two gallon for the power washer, chainsaw, push lawn mower and weed whacker, 32:1 gas oil ratio which is close enough to an average mix to make all those machines happy enough; and a one gallon for the Yamaha 4hp 2 stroke dingy motor. That last one has some ridiculous ratio, like 99:1 (not kidding). I use more vermouth in a very dry martini. I'd have to use an eye droppe. I usually do 50:1 instead and the outboard seems happy too.

I may have to pour all the residue amounts into one and take to the hazardous materials depot and clean the rest out for use!

Because this is now beyond ridiculous!

Don’t forget...the solvent you use to clean the rest out will become Haz-Mat as well!

Don’t forget...the solvent you use to clean the rest out will become Haz-Mat as well!

I won't use solvent. these are mostly gas, so I could even leave then open in the sun and let them evaporate clear! I will amalgamate them and take the fuller one to the depot. The others I will leave open in the sun to dry out. There is one small tank that I used to mop up bilge water after a diesel filter leak, I will take that down as is.

I really hate these new tanks without the little hole that allows air in while you pour. I know it is to stop air pollution. It makes the pour really messy and the tanks swell up in the heat when they sit on the boat deck. So I release the main cap to release that anyway so the same amount is probably getting into the air regardless.

Wonder who thought up that genius design!

Boy do I have! 30 + gals of 25 yr old diesel, 4-5 five gal jugs of mixed paint thinner, paint and god knows what else, ancient partially full paint cans innumerable, 3 five gal jugs of old motor oil, partially used paint spray cans of paint innumerable, several containers of old mixed and unmixed gasoline, and the list goes on. I'd gladly pay the fees but hazardous waste disposal sites are absent in our area. If we ever have to sell and move we'll be in big doo doo. Plan is to die here and let the kids figure it out.
I had a friend in northern Maryland whose father-in-law passed away. When cleaning out the barn he came across some metal cans of something with US Army numbering on them. He called Aberdeen and they sent out a crew with a disposal truck and hazmat suits THAT DAY. They took a good 2' of soil from around where the cans had been stored. They said something about "this should never have been off the base" and demurred from any further explanation.

Conversely when my FIL in Buffalo passed we had to take a pickup truck bed full (1 layer) of various cans, bottles, jugs, paints, etc to a private disposal place. We lucked into it being cold as hell and the clerk did not want to have to take the time to weigh it all. We let him guess an amount and ran like thieves in night after paying for what was probably a quarter of what was actually there.

As someone that's had to do the clean up... don't leave it for the estate, please.

We're otherwise fortunate here in my county in MD where they'll take any hazardous material you've got and dispose of it for you, at no charge (up to reasonable amounts per trip). The thinking seems to be better to let the county handle it than having it go nearly straight out to the Chesapeake watershed. Our marina in Annapolis also has a free oil/gas/solvent drop-off.

Yep, no charge in JAX either - regardless of amount.

The waterways are kinda important around here - especially with the high water table.

Yep, no charge in JAX either - regardless of amount.

The waterways are kinda important around here - especially with the high water table.

If you buy the gasSpouts .com spout, they give you a vent to either retrofit your gas can or install new with a spade bit hole .

I wonder why you couldn't just take a Philips screwdriver and punch your own air hole in the opposite end to the spout?

I wonder why you couldn't just take a Philips screwdriver and punch your own air hole in the opposite end to the spout?

That would leave you with trying to figure out how to plug the hole left by the screwdriver the next time you fill the jug!

This is my on-board collection
IMG_20190916_222705921.jpeg

That would leave you with trying to figure out how to plug the hole left by the screwdriver the next time you fill the jug!

Why do you think I would need to plug it, apart from some duct tape to stop rain getting in?

Had one until I sold the 5-HP Seagull outboard used to power a 24-foot cutter (Bluewater Blackwatch).

It has gotten to the stage now where we just take the spout off completely and pour the gas through a funnel into the dinghy. Those spouts with the "hook-and-spring" are just useless. In fact, as someone mentioned, I would argue with the amount of spillage created they can cause more of a pollution risk than the older designs.

You can purchase the caps with vent holes on Amazon. That's what I did to solve the "bulging tank" issue.
I won't use solvent. these are mostly gas, so I could even leave then open in the sun and let them evaporate clear! I will amalgamate them and take the fuller one to the depot. The others I will leave open in the sun to dry out. There is one small tank that I used to mop up bilge water after a diesel filter leak, I will take that down as is.

I really hate these new tanks without the little hole that allows air in while you pour. I know it is to stop air pollution. It makes the pour really messy and the tanks swell up in the heat when they sit on the boat deck. So I release the main cap to release that anyway so the same amount is probably getting into the air regardless.

Wonder who thought up that genius design!

In Northern Wisconsin there are still a number of backyard mechanics and even commercial shops with waste oil burners used to heat their shops. They gladly take the used oil. When I change my Raycors I get about a gallon of dirty fuel oil. I just pour it into the used engine oil and they burn that also. Don't know about gasoline though.

An ad on C.L. will probably get someone to come get your used oil.

pete

All the farm stores around here sell the old style replacement nozzles and vent caps, if you have such stores in your area. Might beat a spot of duct tape...

Might check Harbor Freight - that's the sort of stuff they could have.

Not really a great answer. Can you explain your comment?

It wasn't an answer to anything, merely a comment on using duct to plug a hole punched in a gasoline tank "to keep out rainwater". If (more like when) tank expands, duct tape will release to let pressure out, allowing rainwater to seep in the next time it rains, so using duct tape fails in it's intended purpose. Also potential for free surface effect to cause fuel to splash against hole, loosen the duct tapes adhesion, allowing the potential for fuel to splash out in a sea way.

Note: Potential does not always = reality. Myself, I tend to mitigate potential risks that I see as potential problems.

It's all risk management and personal choice. Identify risks. Mitigate the risk to extent you feel comfortable with. Monitor any applied corrective action for effect. Repeat as necessary. For me, personally, using duct tape in the manner you describe, for the purpose you describe is "Scary":D

YMMV

I have at least 10 of them. Being from an area prone to hurricanes you tend to acquire quite a few over the years. I do not have to fill them all up now because the bay boat holds 90 gallons. I just make sure I keep it full during hurricane season and fill them up as needed to run the generator.

Back
Top Bottom