Hurrican Dorian caused 100 foot waves off NewFoundland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Imagine your on the ocean and a hundred foot wave is coming at you.

hqdefault.jpg

:popcorn:

Been in consistent 60 footers for days....just depends how steep they get.

First pic.... bridge window upper right) replaced with plywood after it was shattered....80 feet above the waterline.

Second picture...oceanographic room deck...20 feet above the waterline...many times that window was underwater.

Attachments

• nt.jpg
    nt.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 129
  • z02.jpg
    z02.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Here is a third picture. This is a downeaster with the superstructure built of glassed over plywood. It came into Oregon Inlet, NC in heavy waves that destroyed the windshield structure.

This is why you don't take a lightly built boat (most of our boats are) on a blue water passage. You never know what you are going to run into and you and your boat have to be able to take it.

David

Attachments

• Windshield damage Oregon Inlet.jpg
    Windshield damage Oregon Inlet.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Last Time I was at Grand Bahama Shipyard, we were doing a heavy lift in a drydock for Princess cruise line. They next dock over had a stove in bulwark bow section and welding going on up top. They were in the southern ocean and got "visited" by a rogue wave. Blew out pilothouse windows 150' away and caved in the bulwarks on Stbd side of bow.

No thanks. I don’t care what vessel I am in. 100 feet you can count me out. Well if it were a sub my answer might be different.

No thanks. I don’t care what vessel I am in. 100 feet you can count me out. Well if it were a sub my answer might be different.

Well a 100’ wave could easily turn your boat into a sub...

Ran into a 90’er in the North Sea in 1977. Was on a North Sea RORO car passenger ferry. Standing in the pilot house 80’ above sea level with green water sweeping over you is an interesting experience! The ship was 520’ long so the wave didn’t stand us on end like the Perfect Storm movie. We battled 50’ers all night. The run was from Hamburg (Germany) to Harwich (England)

Back
Top Bottom