Opinions on these two removable pad eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
I’m still farting around with trying to come up with a system for storing my dinghy on the boat deck. I think I’ll end up with using Weaver removable swivel chocks. Expensive, but relatively easy to install (I think) and can be used for both my RIB and my hard shell rowing/sailing dingy.

I’m thinking that I’ll also use three pad eyes for tie down mounts in addition to the weaver chocks, two by the stern corners and one at the bow. I’d prefer them to be flush when not in use and definitely want them to be strong. My boat deck is reinforced with plywood in that area so I’ll need to be able to screw them down securely. I also want something reasonably easy for a klutz like me to install correctly.

Here are two that I’m wondering about. One is bronze and the other is 304 stainless.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/davey-and-co-removable-eye-deck-plates
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/schaefer-marine-removable-eye-deck-plate

Since the TF brain trust has a lot of experience, what are your thoughts on 3 vs 4 screws? Bronze vs 304 stainless? 2” vs 3” diameter of the plate. FWIW, both are expensive but the bronze would end up being 1/2 the cost of the SS.

I'd lean towards four screws and stainless. Bronze will look green rather fast. Both will obviously do the job.

304 stainless?? Not really marine grade. 316 stainless includes 2% molybdenum, which is added to help resist corrosion.

Bronze will only patina, but won't corrode over time.

304 stainless?? Not really marine grade. 316 stainless includes 2% molybdenum, which is added to help resist corrosion.

Bronze will only patina, but won't corrode over time.

Glad you picked up on that. One of my concerns was the 304 stainless instead of the 316. I wish the other was 316 because even that will corrode over time in the right (wrong) conditions.

Back
Top Bottom