City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
RE: Comments on Changing by Battery arrangement

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
I don't know man.

I want my start to be a priority.

*I can do without everything on the boat but the motor.

I need that to start every time I hit the switch.

Therefor the start bank is priority one. If you drain your house bank down listening to Buffet. then you would have to fully charge the house bank before anything gets to the start battery. It does no good to sit and drink a cold one waiting for a tow.

SD*
*Not so SD.* In the first place if you drain your house the start is still fully charged.* But suppose it isn't for some reason (I can't think of one).* The Echo charge senses the amount of charge that the start needs and feeds some of the charge from the Alt to it.* Now true if you can't start the engine you can't charge either but then what difference dose it make.* If the engine won't start due to a dead battery and the house is drained and you can't start the engine how is the Alt going to charge anything anyway? No matter which battery it is going to.

Steve D'Antonio is the one who suggests this method.* He said in one of his classes several years ago that he had a boat in his yard that went all summer one year and then in*about the middle of August it would not start one day.* Nothing, would not turn over.* When he looked into it he found that the wire from the Alt to the start battery had been left off when the boat was recommissioned in the spring.* This boat had been used almost every weekend all summer long and started every time but the battery was never getting a charge from anything.* His point was that a start battery can go a long time*without being recharged if all it is used for is starting the engines.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote