Forum Software Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Art wrote:
I must ask, regarding your statement quoted below, should OTDE new acronym become TFZ; i.e. Trawler forum*ZOO?? LOL* In this decade OTDEs new acronym might better incline... NTBD, i.e. Need To Be Discussed.* IMHO
"Not that I spent much time in OTDE, but it did give the politically oriented A types a place to growl and snarl at each other in a contained area where they could be observed from a distance in relative safety."

Art:
To maintain consistency with the latin word "Forum", perhaps the name for the political area of OTDE should be called the "Colosseum"

dwhatty wrote:Art wrote:
I must ask, regarding your statement quoted below, should OTDE new acronym become TFZ; i.e. Trawler forum*ZOO?? LOL* In this decade OTDEs new acronym might better incline... NTBD, i.e. Need To Be Discussed.* IMHO
"Not that I spent much time in OTDE, but it did give the politically oriented A types a place to growl and snarl at each other in a contained area where they could be observed from a distance in relative safety."

Art:
To maintain consistency with the latin word "Forum", perhaps the name for the political area of OTDE should be called the "Colosseum"
*David:

In that case... the acronym could be COM... as a tongue-in-cheek reference to "Dot Com", the largest Coloseum ever created... containing*seats for every spectator and a word-sword for every warrior.*

-- Edited by Art on Monday 26th of March 2012 06:09:53 AM

Art wrote:
... American public needs to*take notice and enter debates in hopes to collectively define the best way forward*for our Country's political, economic, energy, and social agendas.* This election year is a calm before the storm.* I hope you join the discussions when OTDE returns.* Your posts always appear clear-eyed and level headed.* America needs your intelligent input.*
*Not to mention the sage scholarly advice that those other philosophical deep old files from the other side of the ocean*bring to the debate.

AKA

"The small group you see on the upper deck,sitting with their feet on the rail and beer in hand are the Oz east coast crew.That lot are so laid back it's a wonder they don't fall overboard.They are by nature members of the officers mess."

Andy G wrote:Art wrote:
... American public needs to*take notice and enter debates in hopes to collectively define the best way forward*for our Country's political, economic, energy, and social agendas.* This election year is a calm before the storm.* I hope you join the discussions when OTDE returns.* Your posts always appear clear-eyed and level headed.* America needs your intelligent input.*
*Not to mention the sage scholarly advice that those other philosophical deep old files from the other side of the ocean*bring to the debate.

AKA

"The small group you see on the upper deck,sitting with their feet on the rail and beer in hand are the Oz east coast crew.That lot are so laid back it's a wonder they don't fall overboard.They are by nature members of the officers mess."

Andy G - I'm honored to have been posted to by the TF Hospitality Officer!* Thanks!! - Art

See, OTDE is needed. It has morphed into Forum Software Upgrade! Leave it to "Artfully" changing the context.* Now to see how it all comes together.

UPDATE: Forum Software Conversion Time Set!

The Forum will be closed around 1:50 EST on Thursday.* The current host will begin their export and once complete we will start the import into vBulletin.* We have tested this process and everything should work smoothly, Mr. Murphy should not be paying us a visit but we all know how that can work out sometimes.

If all goes as planned, the downtime will be fairly short.* We will import all the users and post and send out an email to everyone with a link to reset their passwords (you can use the same one you had on the old software but it WILL HAVE TO BE RESET).

Downtime could be as short as a couple hours or as long as 24 hours.* If you set your expectations that it's going to take a day but we are done much faster we will have more people pleased with the quick reopening on the new software.

There are a couple of things that everyone should prepare for in this conversion.

1) Private Messages will NOT be Imported - Due to privacy issues the current host will not export the private messages. *That means you will need to read and archive any private messages you want to save ASAP. *They do this because no one is allowed to see the private messages (Admins and Mods included).

2) Everyone will require a password reset - The current host will not provide the old passwords so everyone will have to reset their password after the conversion. *Please make sure your email address on file is up-to-date so the reset email will get to you. *We will also have the help desk to assist members via email as needed to make sure everyone gets back in.

I am going to send out an email to all 2,700+ members about the software conversion on Thursday since everyone needs to save any important private messages. I have closed this discussion and posted the most recent update about the software conversion to the following thread in order to link to it from the email and avoid confusion (if they started reading at the beginning of this thread the time/date of the conversion was unknown). Please continue this discussion at this link:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/t48466993/updated-forum-software-conversion-thursday-march-29-200-pm-e/

Back
Top Bottom