Metal to Metal Sound from Drive Shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GARY HIGGINS

Hello All:

I have a DF41, with Twin Lehmans and Velvet Drives. The Shafts go through a two stud packing box arrangement, out the boat and through a strut with a Cutlass Bearing, then the props.

Sometimes (Usually after sitting for a few days), when I engage the port transmission in idle in the opposite direction from the Stb trans, I hear a medium to high pitch noise that sounds like metal rubbing on metal. The noise goes away when I go back to neutral or raise the rpms to 700 or above. It then may come back at the next counter rotating turn, until I start cruising and then I will not hear it again for that entire trip.

I keep from 2 drips per minute to 10 drips per minute for each packing, and I replaced the flax packing completely and the noise came back. My packing consists of 2 pieces of 5/8, and 2 pieces of 5/16 at an inner step of the packing. The drive shaft is aligned per the .003 feeler gauge, but there is about a 1mm off set trans flange to stbd, and shaft flange to port. Bolts slide in easily without any persuasion. The engine mounts are currently maxed out and I cannot remove this 1mm offset. I've put on thousands of hours, and replaced packing about 5 times in 10 years before this started. Upon diving I have noticed the cutlass bearing could use replacement at the next Haul. (With most all my strength on the prop, I can detect movement even if it is unmeasurable)

Based on another forum search, it seems like two possibilities are 1) a singing prop from thin inconsistent prop edges, or 2) Rubbing on the shaft tube between the stuffing box and the strut. I also wonder if there could be some metal or an overzealous set screw in the cutlass bearing that sings a little in certain conditions and goes away with more of a load.

BTW: I have changed ATF on a regular basis, and not detected metal in the trans, and I'm 99% certain the noise is generated from somewhere between the front of the stuffing box, to the back of the prop.

I am probably still 12-20 months away from a Haul Out, and would appreciate hearing about any similar experiences or countermeasures applied to the inconsistent noise.

Thanks, Gary Higgins, Always Sunny, DF41, HB, So-Cal

Back
Top Bottom