You gotta be kidding me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustBob

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Seen at Seattle Boats Afloat this week.

Attachments

• fookov-165131.jpg
    fookov-165131.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 164
"This is US Coast Guard. Are you in need of assistance, please say your vessel name?"

Yeah that's a headscratcher? I saw that boat up in Roche and found out it's the promotional boat for the Fukhov Vodka company.

Can't imagine hailing a port for dock space with that name. Ha!

I have a photo of that from either the FLL or Miami show recently. I too was pretty shocked.

I also saw that boat at Roche Harbor last week...made me cringe! It appeared to be for sale at that time; if I were the broker I would get that name off of the stern immediately!

A friends' daughter in law used to be a sales rep for Effen Vodka. Their premise was "Give me an Effen martini". Not my favored style of advertising. This is the same type of stuff that however good it might be, I would never pay for it, or have it on the boat.
John

Wifey B: I love the F word, not as teacher me but as wild and crazy me and fun me, but....:nonono::nonono::nonono:

I'm shocked the CG let that go through. That's like people who sneak things through on license plates but when the state wakes up and realizes, they're told to turn the plate in.

It's doubly bad because you have kids everywhere reading it and you have people forced to say it who may be quite uncomfortable doing so. I'm betting some lockmasters and bridge tenders and dockmasters refuse to use it. :ermm:

I just think respectful people consider their audience. In the privacy of my home or boat, I can be as raunchy as I want, but in other environments I must adapt to appropriate behavior. As a school teacher, I had to wear far more clothing than I like to and never use bad words. When we were in TN, we all got in the van and went to Dollywood and one day to the waterpark there. We wore very different bikinis than we do in South Florida. :)

As to the Vodka, well all I have to say to them is FUKHOV. :mad:

Oh the boat is for sale for $4,395,000.

Wifey B: I love the F word, not as teacher me but as wild and crazy me and fun me, but....:nonono::nonono::nonono:

I'm shocked the CG let that go through. That's like people who sneak things through on license plates but when the state wakes up and realizes, they're told to turn the plate in.

Yeah, my guess is the USCG is too short staffed to go through the time and trouble to deny a name that violates the regulations.

I am a bit of an anomaly. I don’t use profanity and discourage its use around me. I certainly would avoid being seen on, or socializing with, a boat with that name.

There are others in the database. George Carlin would be proud as all seven are in there one way or another. I doubt the USCG cares or even has restrictions on it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's regs hinting about it. Gov't and speech restrictions (at a Federal level) are a pesky thing.

I certainly would avoid being seen on, or socializing with, a boat with that name.

Well, yeah, but you're not likely their target demographic either.

"This is US Coast Guard. Are you in need of assistance, please say your vessel name?"

Every vessel I have named, in my head I went "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday this is vessel XXX......"

Don't use profanity, don't use Gaelic or Sanskrit.... Make it easy to comprehend and make it sound like you are a reasonable and somewhat serious mariner. That way the radio operator will have an easy job writing stuff down, and won't fall off his chair laughing, and MAY just pass it on to someone who's gonna be of needed assistance.

There's a place and a time for shenanigans.... your boat name is not one of them.

YMMV.

I would not only not be seen on that boat, or say its name if the boat were sinking and I had to make a radio call, I wouldn't have anything to do with whoever owns that thing either. It's a reflection of somebody with zero class or grace or character or consideration for others. It's not funny, it's not amusing, and if that boat were at my marina, my wife and kids would have to walk past it. Nope. Like my mother used to say, money can't buy class.

Every vessel I have named, in my head I went "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday this is vessel XXX......"
In my opinion, an excellent way to vet a vessel's name.

My guess would be that when that particular vessel makes radio calls, they pronounce it more like foo-cove than like one might otherwise imagine.

Two boats in my area have names with similar "phonetic" problems:

"Chicken Ship" -owned by a chicken farmer or chicken company

"Dawg Due" -owned by a UGA (Bulldogs) accountant

Always get a kick hearing them on the radio. Pretty sure it is intentional.

Don't use profanity, don't use Gaelic...

Heh, a slip neighbor's boat was named Saoirse. Good luck getting the radioman to write that down accurately...

I would not only not be seen on that boat, or say its name if the boat were sinking and I had to make a radio call, I wouldn't have anything to do with whoever owns that thing either. It's a reflection of somebody with zero class or grace or character or consideration for others. It's not funny, it's not amusing, and if that boat were at my marina, my wife and kids would have to walk past it. Nope. Like my mother used to say, money can't buy class.

Oh my. No judgement there, eh?

Another unfortunate boat name I saw in a boatyard. Pretty boat, pretty name, but the meaning changed:

Isis

Could make for some uncomfortable moments on the radio.

Another unfortunate boat name I saw in a boatyard. Pretty boat, pretty name, but the meaning changed:

Isis

Could make for some uncomfortable moments on the radio.

Isis is the another name for the Thames and is the name of the Oxford University rowing team.

The dog in Downton Abbey was names Isis (presumably because one of the characters was at Oxford). They killed the dog off because of the new connotation!

About 10 years ago a sailboat called "I DON'T CARE"
Hailed the CG about a canoe overturned in Vancouver harbor with 2 people in the water.
CG hesitated a few time on the radio on that call.
I think they change their name after that

Hay we had a "Chicken Ship" -out here too
Say that 3 times fast

Our company used to package yeast for bread years ago and we called our boat "Loafer" sort of fitting

I saw a sailboat named Zubenelgenubi it's the name of a star (celestial) good luck getting that across to a busy bridge or lock tender.

In the late 80's , I was captain of (and a best friend of the owner) a Hatteras 46, then Hines-Farley's 47' & 63 footers. They were all named the "Why?". I can think of several times it caused dockmasters to get irritated when we were calling for fuel or dockage and answered with simply the boats name. Most of the time I would use "the" or "the sportfish" in front of the name "Why?" to clarify things.

I dont see a problem with it. It has the two "annunciation points" over the letter "u".

My mind immediately went to " foo kov". But obviously its too close.....lol

Yeah, my guess is the USCG is too short staffed to go through the time and trouble to deny a name that violates the regulations.

I am a bit of an anomaly. I don’t use profanity and discourage its use around me. I certainly would avoid being seen on, or socializing with, a boat with that name.

It’s not profanity, instead it is obscenity. Profanity is taking the Lords Name in vain, obscenity is referring to bodily functions like defecation or sex. I use obscenity all the time, but I try to avoid profanity.

It’s not profanity, instead it is obscenity. Profanity is taking the Lords Name in vain, obscenity is referring to bodily functions like defecation or sex. I use obscenity all the time, but I try to avoid profanity.

I stand corrected.

So, I’m a bit of an anomaly. I don’t use profanity OR obscenities.

Back
Top Bottom