mainship helm station hinge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmcs

Hi Folks,

I am the proud owner of a 40' 1996 Mainship Sedan Bridge. Among the many things that I need to fix, one of those is a broken hinge for the helm station. There are two hinges, one is broken. Anyone know where I can get an OEM hinge (or something close)?

Thank You in advance,

Eric

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. This is the only picture I have. Ill try and get others plus measurements when I get back from work.

Thanks,

Eric

Attachments

• 20190909_181333.jpg
    20190909_181333.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 64
I would get the measurements and look online for a good s/s hinge and replace both of them. I would not put that exact hinge back sine it obviously is crap, rusting like that. Are these on the inside or the outside of the cabinet? If they are on the inside then most anything will work, if on the outside you could go a bit bigger and the hinge will cover the rusted areas on the fiberglass. Also you can use Fiberglass Stain Remover to get the rust stains off the glass. It is a mild acid and works great for rust stains on glass.

Here is s better picture. It measures 2.5" x 4"

I am looking for a suitable replacement. Problem with stainless, its a pain in the ass to drill through, and i want to keep the original mounting holes.

Eric

Attachments

• Hinge.jpg
    Hinge.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 57
Stainless is a bit more difficult to drill, go slow and keep the pressure up. Use a cutting oil and cobalt bits. You might try Jamestown Distributers. They have a huge catalog.

If the SS hinge spends most of its life closed rust is common.

If only the pin broke , why not just replace it?

Unless an unusual accident broke it , a pair of more robust hinges might be a good investment.

IMO nothing special about the mount holes. Use a larger hinge to cover the old holes and fill them with marine tex

Looks like a simple 2" section cut from a SS piano hinge.

Grainger or other supply house. Unfortunately, these usually come in 4' or 5' sections.

Here is s better picture. It measures 2.5" x 4"

I am looking for a suitable replacement. Problem with stainless, its a pain in the ass to drill through, and i want to keep the original mounting holes.

Eric

Eric
I scanned through the MS, Luhrs, Hunter parts photos on my Bacchus website and found it listed as a Gem Products # 1680

If you go to the Gem Catalog they list it on Pg 58 - not sure about availability or a source but they should help w/ a source or maybe sell direct.

Back
Top Bottom