Proud Mary renovation status

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent work. Everything is looking good and coming right along.

IMG_2151.jpg
The rim joists and cross brace boards are installed along with aluminum angle braces.

IMG_2152.jpg
IMG_2153.jpg
I installed two 1 inch thick sound deadening insulation panels against the front bulkhead before I start attaching strainers and filters.

I just replaced the original sound insulation on my salon deck hatches. It was all of 1/4” foil covered foam. I used 1” with the loaded vinyl in the middle. It did make a difference in the sound although we always run the boat from the bridge so sound in the salon isn’t that big of a deal. Yours looks good.

I was trying to determine the average reduction in decibels for the product. Nothing was posted and since the 1 inch thick was only about $20 more than 1/2” thick I went with the 1 inch. It does have the rubbery material within the foam.

IMG_2156.jpg
The neighbor at the marina noted that I replaced all the intake thru-hulls with bronze fittings. He recommended that I replace two nylon drains on the port side. One is for the second bilge pump and the other is for gray water. I was dreading the removal. To loosen the mushroom head I slid a putty knife under the edge and I was astonished when they both popped off.

IMG_2154.jpg
Cleaning up the openings for new bronze thru-hull drains.

IMG_2155.jpg
I like the confidence of strong new material.

When I had a 1978 Trojan F32 about 5 years ago, I was replacing all the plastic thru hulls. I was amazed how difficult it was to remove them. I tried a small sledge hammer at one point and they did not break. I had assumed that they were going to be brittle and would shatter on impact, no way. I ended up cutting them off with a multi tool. I don’t know what Trojan used but they were still in excellent condition after 35+ years. I still replaced them all anyway.

My better half has been working on the exterior while I continue to make progress on the interior. Here are the before and after pictures.
IMG_2273.jpg
IMG_2923.jpg

Here are some more pictures of the results.
IMG_2920.jpg
IMG_2922.jpg

That exterior makeover is stunning. It gives that drab green hull and very updated look.

My better half has been working on the exterior while I continue to make progress on the interior. Here are the before and after picture

Excellent! What kind of paint was used and how was it applied?

Is it fresh paint, or did you go back to gelcoat under the green?

She sanded the exterior and did minor cosmetic repairs with Total Fair Epixy Fairing Compound.
She did a good solid sanding but not to the gel coat. Then she sanded to fair out any uneven surfaces.
Two coats of Interlux Pre-Kote. She recommends not being afraid to thin the Pre-Kote or paint as it will flash off and create orange peel surface if too thick.
Then three coats of Interlux Brightside paint.
Lightly sanded between each coat.

Oh yeah, she rolled and tipped. The Redtree 4 inch foam rollers were very important as basic foam rollers from Lowe’s or Home Depot didn’t provide the finish or texture we expected.

Nice! She looks great.

Proud Mary wrote;
“ Then three coats of Interlux Brightside paint. ”

Love the Pre-Kote too. It’s very thick but flows on so smooth.
Sika-Flex Brightside and grey Pre-Kote is almost universal on our boat. No epoxy anywhere that I can recall.

Just catching up with this thread now...

Holy crap! Did you go from a dark green to a white hull? That looks great!

I soooo want to do that to mine; that tan/beige color is so drab. This year I'm getting a new, black bimini, and I've re-done the boot stripe in black. Next is the rub rail stripe and flybridge stripe. But painting the whole hull? Not sure I'll live that long...

It is a lot of work to paint the hull. We did it last year but we sprayed it instead of roll and tip. We have rolled and tipped a previous boat. It is amazing how good a finish you can get with roll and tip. Congrats, keep up the good work.

I am so pleased with your progress and growing beauty of your vessel.

How much more to do?
When do you hope to cruise?

These are indeed mighty fine vessels.

Tim

I am so pleased with your progress and growing beauty of your vessel.

How much more to do?
When do you hope to cruise?

These are indeed mighty fine vessels.

Tim
We’re in the process of replacing old wires and hoses and securing the fuel and water tanks. After that we’ll cut out the wall panels then install the new windows. We should be able to put it in the water this spring to do some shakedown cruises to ensure our repairs and replacements were correct.

What to do on a snowy, rainy and cold day? Replace hoses on the engine.
The hoses were painted and so hard some crumbled and cracked when I pulled them off. I originally thought I would buy new hoses and clamps as backups but after the first hose and second clamp crumbled I knew they all needed to be replaced.

what to do on a snowy, rainy and cold day? Replace hoses on the engine.
The hoses were painted and so hard some crumbled and cracked when i pulled them off. I originally thought i would buy new hoses and clamps as backups but after the first hose and second clamp crumbled i knew they all needed to be replaced.

IMG_2337.jpgIMG_2338.jpgIMG_2339.jpgIMG_2340.jpgIMG_2341.jpgIMG_2344.jpg

After replacing the hoses for the heat exchanger I moved to the front of the engine to replace water pump hoses.
IMG_2348.jpgIMG_2349.jpgIMG_2347.jpg
Now the after!
IMG_2350.jpgIMG_2351.jpgIMG_2352.jpg

Back
Top Bottom