Port of Brunswick closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boathealer

Guru
Vessel Name
--
Vessel Make
Between boats
Entire crew rescued from capsized cargo ship off Ga. coast

Ship-overturned-in-SSI-Soun_1567945261576_22257497_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Last edited:
The new reports indicate the vessel was "listing"!!! Looks more like it is sitting on its side in shallow water. Was this car carrier somehow totally out of the channel and just ran out of water? Hard to believe.

Captian is going to get a severe spanking over this one.

I thought maybe Dorian could have shoaled in the channel or something, but the satellite (not current) image of the area doesn't look like there is potential for that. It is sitting out in the middle.

Timeline shows stop from 11.7kn to zero over an 11 minute period.

Weird.

Attachments

• GoldenRayMarineTraffic.jpg
    GoldenRayMarineTraffic.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 321
  • GoldenRayTimeline.jpg
    GoldenRayTimeline.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 285
Cargo shift?

I thought maybe Dorian could have shoaled in the channel or something, but the satellite (not current) image of the area doesn't look like there is potential for that. It is sitting out in the middle.

Timeline shows stop from 11.7kn to zero over an 11 minute period.

Weird.

I had the same thought. Normally there would seem to be plenty of water there.

Attachments

• E81A5539-CBBE-4D79-A391-BF41E4B3903A.jpg
    E81A5539-CBBE-4D79-A391-BF41E4B3903A.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 257
I see an OOPSIE :facepalm: on the track history.....

EDIT: OOPS! (me) I was looking at the wrong area. That one looks like a maneuvering course change near port.

New image added below it as current location in St. Simons Sound. Can't tell much from that.

Attachments

• GoldenRayTrack.jpg
    GoldenRayTrack.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 256
  • GoldenRayTrack - St. Simons.jpg
    GoldenRayTrack - St. Simons.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Reported disabled and fire aboard.....Kind of early for blame to be speculated... 4 crewmmbers still missing. Had 23 crew and pilot aboard

Probably decreased ballast for shallow water in port. Not the first time a car carrier screwed up the ballast management.

Last edited:
The new reports indicate the vessel was "listing"!!! Looks more like it is sitting on its side in shallow water. Was this car carrier somehow totally out of the channel and just ran out of water? Hard to believe.

USCG announced the boat was "listing heavily." Might want to take a closer look. Reports said 2 ships were passing at the time. Maybe one was hogging the channel?

Reported disabled and fire aboard.....Kind of early for blame to be speculated... 4 crewmmbers still missing. Had 23 crew and pilot aboard

My earlier post was meant in jest. I'm sure there is a lot more to this story. I had no idea until now that there were missing persons. Hope all is found safe. I was under the impression that all aboard were rescued.

Live here. Ship was outbound at a rather sharp starboard turn in the channel. Another RoRo, Emerald Ace, was inbound at the same moment. Emerald Ace was going 15+ knots. Golden Ray was at 13. That’s a lot of closing speed in a very narrow and tricky part of the Brunswick port channel.

It appears that Golden Ray had to make a very sharp starboard turn to avoid. Did cargo shift? Perhaps.

Brunswick port was closed until Thursday evening after Dorian. There were six ships at anchor waiting to enter. RoRo port can handle only three. Bulk port two. Golden Ray sat out there for two days. Were they in a rush to make up time? Also, it was at the port for only seven hours. That’s an awfully short stop. Maybe a combination of several factors, which these incidents tend to be.

Obviously, I don’t know what happened to cause this, but I’ve been watching these things come and go for decades, and have been in and out of the sound countless times, and something looks off to me. In the end, four poor guys are missing, the port is closed and now oil is spilling, which will be an issue because the Georgia DNR did not deploy booms first thing this morning.

And again ships pile up at the sea buoy waiting to come in. Four out there right now. Who knows how long the port could be closed. They sure aren’t righting this thing anytime soon. Although it is currently resting on its side just south of the channel, mere yards from green 19.

Boats, not ships, may come and go as long as they stay .5 miles from site.

Thankfully, the four missing crew have been found and rescued.

Apparently that was incorrect information. The Coast Guard has heard tapping from inside the hull but they don’t know if it’s from one person or more. They have suspended rescue efforts for the night.

Is this vessel sitting on the bottom? It sure looks like it. The reports are kind of vague. Rescue/recovery ops are on hold because it is unstable. Does anyone know how deep the water is at that location?

It's difficult to say, but yes, it is probably resting on the bottom at low tide. The port side of the ship was about 20-30 feet lower in the water by late yesterday afternoon than it was at dawn, but it does not seem to have gotten any lower. Basically, the ship rolled from a listing angle to a nearly 90 degree angle.

The tide shift here at the moment is about 8 feet and approximately 2 knots of current.

The water at that spot is about 28' at low tide, but the ship is not too far from the shoals closer to Jekyll Island, which are at about 2'. The two Moran tugs have been used the entire time to keep the ship in place. Fortunately, we are in a window of several days of little wind and very flat seas in the Sound and channel.

I have no information on stability at this time, but the latest word is that the rescue attempt for the four missing men is back on this morning.

Wifey B: Rescuers have made contact with the four missing crew members and confirmed all four alive. Now working to free them. :D

That's good news.

I expect there will be a lot of cheap cars hitting the market in the next few months!!

Wifey B: Rescuers have made contact with the four missing crew members and confirmed all four alive. Now working to free them. :D

Wifey B: Three have been rescued. :) They're working on the fourth.

I'll be involved in the salvage efforts on this. My company has been mobilized by Smit Salvage. We have a contractual relationship with Smit and have done many salvage jobs with them. My tug left NY yesterday with a crane/dive support barge. I don't go in until next Wednesday and don't have many details yet except the salvage master said expect to be there for several months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom