She Is Nearly Ready To Come Home Again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Had Sonas on the hill at Lamb's Yacht Center for some work - and coincidentally during Dorian.
New bottom paint, Barnacle Buster on the running gear (first time using this, was Prop Speed before), New sonar transducer, alternator refurbishment and fixing some charging issues I was having with the alternators (wiring set up) and a few other jobs.
Looking forward to getting her back in the next week after they splash her and put a new washing machine in her.

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_104545981.jpg
    IMG_20190906_104545981.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20190906_104641461 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190906_104641461 (2).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20190906_105201047.jpg
    IMG_20190906_105201047.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20190906_105240512.jpg
    IMG_20190906_105240512.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 101
Had Sonas on the hill at Lamb's Yacht Center for some work - and coincidentally during Dorian.

New bottom paint, Barnacle Buster on the running gear (first time using this, was Prop Speed before), New sonar transducer, alternator refurbishment and fixing some charging issues I was having with the alternators (wiring set up) and a few other jobs.

Looking forward to getting her back in the next week after they splash her and put a new washing machine in her.
Just curious what is Barnacle Buster paint?

Just curious what is Barnacle Buster paint?

Snipe, sorry that should have read Barnacle Barrier from Pettit (Barnacle Buster is a liquid you can run through things like your heat exchanger to get the creatures out of there)!

Now you can run SOUTH from the next cat five headed your way!

Now you can run SOUTH from the next cat five headed your way!

Any Cat 5 coming through here I will be running - in my car - and north west!

Sonas is looking sharp! She's going to spoil your wife's view of the cove, though. :rofl:

What kind of sonar do you have. It looks like a true forward looking sonar xducer.

Any Cat 5 coming through here I will be running - in my car - and north west!

Chicken! :) The only time I have run from a storm was in a vessel at sea, LOTS of times and every time!

I put in two of the new Garmin 8610 units this past spring, the one in the PH is the xsv. I had to wait until this maintenance haul to get the transducer in.
I can't give you the exact model as I don't have the boat and documentation back home yet - but it wasn't cheap!

It is a forward and side looking transducer.

I was trying to see if I could get it right on the bow somehow so as to make sure that there was no interference from the keel in real skinny ICW and Bahamian waters, but they told me that area was just not a great idea from both potential damage and accessibility standpoints.

Last edited:
I would be interested in how you like it once you start using it.

Garmin forward looking sonar:

Garmin forward looking sonar:

Thanks, that's it, though I thought it gave more of a side view than 20 degrees.

Will check in once I start using it.

My hope is, at our speeds, it will help when we "lose" that wonderful 12' channel the OCOE maintain for us in the ICW (plus rock pile and the New River ICW junction), and sneaking into some of those Bahamian anchorages. That I can just slow the boat and turn it from side to side to see where the heck I am supposed to go.

I noticed those glasses at 1:25 in the video - looks like a Cyborg set up! Must check into that!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom