View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
wkearney99
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
TV in lift box - modification

I've got a built-in cabinet with a lift for a TV. The old TV is being replaced but it's nigh-on impossible to find anything that'll fit exactly into the old box. The old TV was a 4:3 squarish-26" unit. A new 24" looks awkwardly small. There are a rare few 28" 16:9 wide units that alllllmost fit. To that end I've managed to find one that's just shy of 1/4" larger than opening in the existing box (which has 3/8" wood sides).

There's no option to modify the lift itself, at least not without spending a considerable amount of money to have a whole new cabinet made for the space.

My question here is if I'm going to modify the box, which of these two options should I consider (rendering attached).

Note, my question here isn't about the TV or whether having one on-board is necessary, useful or whatever. Just some thoughts on modifying the box itself.

I either go with option (B) and notch in the front use some stand-offs to get the TV pushed forward from the back panel (not shown in this rendering). Or option (A) where I route out a keyhole of sorts in the side to allow the TV to fit.

The upside to option B (the notch) is it'd potentially allow using an articulating mount that could let me pull the TV forward and tilt it side-to-side to better aid viewing from elsewhere in the salon. But, honestly, there's not a large enough area to make this a likely scenario. The lift is old-school, chain-driven, all metal and has absolutely no safety features. It'll gladly roll down onto fingers without stopping. So a notch would potentially present some added possible pinch points on the way down. Option A would at least leave a smooth edge along the sides. But there'd still be the top piece coming down (and it's already claimed an errant coax cable I mistakenly left too close).

I get it, not everyone wants/needs a TV on-board. Frankly, we've gone without it for two seasons and it's really not been missed save for a few excessively rainy stretches and low wifi/cell connectivity. Which probably wouldn't have offered much in the way over over-the-air TV either, but... whatever.

Right now there's a spot where the lid the box is missing and the wife is nagging me. So, option A or B?
Attached Thumbnails
side cuts models.JPG   20180419_143756.jpg