Galleymaid heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madhatter53

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Hatteras 53MY
My heads are seawater flush and I'm done with the stink. Can I just plumb my freshwater to the pumps and be done with it?

At a minimum you need a back flow check valve. Peggie will probably add the real scoop here soon.

My heads are seawater flush and I'm done with the stink. Can I just plumb my freshwater to the pumps and be done with it?

Yes, you can plumb with freshwater. The manuals and schematics are available at galleymaid.com.

Same here, tired of the stink, converting to fresh water flush. I have Raritan Crowns though, and will convert using Raritan's Sea Era conversion kit. Like Dave mentioned, Peggy will likely have some advice for you.:thumb:

I have the orig install manuals somewhere. I'm concerned with the city water pressure causing an issue, I do have a regulator on the city water side but I'm sure it's set at 60-80psi which is much more than what coming from my thru hull.

I would, and did, replace with new Raritan Marine Elegance heads. They can be had for about $600 each. Retrofitting will be somewhat less expensive but, then, you end up with a cobbled together system rather than a near bullet-proof set-up, flysh and forget for five or ten years.

I have the orig install manuals somewhere. I'm concerned with the city water pressure causing an issue, I do have a regulator on the city water side but I'm sure it's set at 60-80psi which is much more than what coming from my thru hull.

I use city water to fill my tanks. IMO direct hook up to city water is a disaster waiting to happen. That said there are regulators for the GM toilet supplied by one of the vendors in the above link.

Last edited:
If Galley Maid has instructions for replumbing their toilet to use onboard fresh water, it should be safe to do so. Water pressure shouldn't be an issue 'cuz water pressure too high for the toilet would already be too high for the fresh water plumbing. (And btw...it doesn't matter how expensive or cheap,there are only two kinds of regulators--those that have failed and those that will. So always have a replacement on hand and NEVER leave the boat or even turn in for the night without turning off the water on the dock).

However, I'd replace the toilet 'cuz Galley Maids have nothing in common with any other toilet, and parts and tech support are only available from Galley Maid and very expensive. I've never even tried to trouble shoot them...I just give owners Galley Maids phone number.

--Peggie

I would, and did, replace with new Raritan Marine Elegance heads. They can be had for about $600 each. Retrofitting will be somewhat less expensive but, then, you end up with a cobbled together system rather than a near bullet-proof set-up, flysh and forget for five or ten years.

You make a good point. Going to re-think my Crown coversion.

I will second or third the Marine Elegance head. I put one in a previous boat and loved it. Getting ready to order one for my current boat to replace the aft head in my current boat. I am pulling the port engine to replace the fuel tank and while the engine is out I will be able to get to the plumbing fairly easy so that is the time to replace the head and be done with it.

Raz Marine provides excellent support for GalleyMaids. Including rebuilding services. Depco pump does as well to a more limited degree.
Raz also sells Raritan products so could walk you through the pros and cons of each approach. The quality of the GM products is extremely high and they are easily user serviceable.

You make a good point. Going to re-think my Crown coversion.

I think he was referring to converting a sea water Galley Maid to fresh water, 'cuz replacing a Crown "lower unit' with a SeaEra lower unit would NOT be a "cobbled up system" any more than swapping out the Crown for a new one would be.

--Peggie

Other than the pressure from dockside water hookup what's the dif.
The GM doesn't know the dif between fresh and saltwater.

We have an electric solenoid valve installed on each of our Galley Maid macerator pumps to allow freshwater flushing. No problem after nearly a years operation. Press the flush button and the valve is energized with the pump.

Other than the pressure from dockside water hookup what's the dif.
The GM doesn't know the dif between fresh and saltwater.

Yes it does. One it has to suck in, and back flow is not an issue. The other, there can be no back flow, and when on dock water, it is forced in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom