Looking for Port Light Gaskets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBreeze

Vessel Name
SeaShell
Vessel Make
1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
Does anyone know of a source for replacement rubber gaskets for these vintage portlights? Opening size is 11.5” x 5”. IMG_0071.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0074.jpg

Maybe someone in the Marine Trader group can help you?

Knowing the manufacture of the part may help for some. A generic overseas manufacturer may be an issue because it has no markings. The boat manufacture is usually not the best source because they may have used what ever fit the hole. So if you ask your buddy hey what do you have. It may or may not be the same in your vessel.

Beckson has a selection here. And a good site to look at installation
Maybe a 512
https://www.beckson.com/component.html

There are a number of them on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=port+light+gaskets&_sacat=0

They are bed well - just need the rubber gasket that seals the port when you dog it down. I’ll give beckson a try.

Using a length of gasket place the ends together at the top of the light. Using adhesive to join the ends would be recommended as well.

With heavier stronger ports old style flax shaft packing works well.

Nice to see the hooks on the OP boat that hold the ports open are the silent type , that do not rattle when underway.

What type of adhesive would be best to glue the ends of the rubber gasket together?

I used square stock neoprene with a butt joint at the top no adhesive needed. I reworked my four port lights ten years ago and they are still water tight. ��

I used square stock neoprene with a butt joint at the top no adhesive needed. I reworked my four port lights ten years ago and they are still water tight. ��

An old wetsuit laying around from when it no longer fits anyone aboard? Perfect to cut strips off for use as gasket material.
Contact cement works well.

The ports look like Ronstand units as there is an adjusting screw in each hinge, so the top can easily be adjusted.

Maybe a Chinese knock off, as I don't see the usual 4 pins that hold the insect screen frame in place.

The distance between the closed port and the pins allow a storm port to replace the screen if running offshore.

Some used an angled soffit , so when the port was opened after a rain , collected water would not pour in.

Both nice features.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom