Teak swim platform re-do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilgewater

Vessel Name
Sunset Lady
Vessel Make
1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
Just checking to see if I have the process correct after looking through the archives:

Removed the nasty looking teak platform to the shop.

Almost done removing old flaky finish with scrapers, heat gun, and stripper (for the deaply imbeded stuff). -* mighty tedious for an 8 foot platform!

After sanding, planning to clean with TSP and lots of water.

Then use CPES all around to seal the wood.

Finish with Cetol (I've used it before and like it), but not gloss coat to keep some traction on the platform.

Comments?

Just clean it and let it go natural, no need to put a finish on any teak surface you walk on because there is plenty of traction on the wood and it looks much better in my opinion. Also, you won't have to redo every year because of damage from crab pots, gas tanks for the dinghy and foot traffic etc.

It depends on how and what you are gong to use the swim platform for.* If you are going to use*it*to get on/enter the boat then you*might want it to*keep in nice looking to give a*good first impression.* In the Summer we*get on and enter*from the swim platform, so our teak swim step has high gloss varnish o it, but the platform has slots*which helps on the footing.* Every year I apply several new coats of varnish.*

Since the back deck is enclosed it also have high gloss varnish on it.* Most people are really impressed with our swim Platform and*stern back deck.* Fist impression are very important.* WOW, them from the start.*
biggrin.gif

I want to go for the WOW factor. I just want to make sure I'm doing it properly.

A little sanding, some elbow grease and some stain does the trick...

Elwin*

Attachments

• swim board before.jpg
    swim board before.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 128
  • swim board mess.jpg
    swim board mess.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 118
  • swimboard finished.jpg
    swimboard finished.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 122
I turned it over today, and discovered that the bottom is in totally perfect condition! Much better than the top which has a lot of damage. So...... I'm going to reverse it and put the good side up. The bolt holes will not line up, so I'll plug each of them with a bung, fill in the void under the bung with epoxy, and mount the platform with new holes and bungs. A little more work, but I think the results will be worth it.

I think your plan is a good one - and yes - I use Cetol on mine and it does look better than grey weathered teak, but is not slippery, and a quick re-coat every 2 yrs does to smarten it up.

The teak platform on my MT 44 was toast. I had a friend fabricate a new one out of mahogany. He put on 3 coats of CPES, then about eight coats of Perfection Plus. It's a two part. It came out beautiful and the finish is hard and like a mirror.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom