Roof advice from the trawler guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Hello guys and gals. *I stumbled onto this product the other day and was curious if anyone has used it and/or if you think it my be good idea. *Its a roof coating. *The following is the description:

White Roof CoatingA premium, high solids, white elastomeric roof coating. The elongation, peel strength and solar reflectance values of this coating offer weather protection, high solar reflectivity and superior longevity when compared to economy grade reflective roof coatings. Cured coating forms a permeable membrane which prevents liquid infiltration, but allows moisture vapor to vent, or breathe out of underlying substrate. Ponding water-resistant. Energy efficient - releases 91% of the sun's heat (thermal emittance). Elastomeric - expands and contracts without cracking. No primer needed on new roofs or roofs in excellent condition. Older*roofs in fair condition may need primer.

Sounds like the stuff I used some years ago to cover a porch roof. It had been covered with black tar and it caused the porch to get rather warm.... I overcoated it with a product like you have described. Its not really pretty after it goes on...but it is affective at blocking heat and moisture...

Greetings,
Would this product work as a deck coating? Can it be made non-skid (addition of some sort of granular material)?

RT Firefly wrote:
Greetings,
Would this product work as a deck coating? Can it be made non-skid (addition of some sort of granular material)?

If its the stuff I am talking about...no.* Its a bit spongy after application, and I don't think it was intended for foot traffic.* Its purely for insulation and as a sealant.

I recently re-did my non-skid and I used Durabak 18 that is UV protected.* Its a pretty aggressive non-skid...after IU put it down I over coat with paint to soften the aggressiveness...*One way to reduce the aggressiveness is to thin it with either Xylene or Toluene.* I use Toluene as it dries off faster than Xylene.

http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm

-- Edited by JAT on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 08:25:52 PM

I had a product similar to what JAT described applied to a rental with a low pitch(1 in 12) roof after the new composition roof was installed. The 2 week lag between the contractor finishing the roof and returning to apply the sealer was in the high 90's. My tenant told me the temperature difference in the home was enormous. I am unaware of the trade name for the product other than knowing my contractor purchased it in 5 gallon containers from a local Lowes store.

I would not put that particular product on a surface that would be walked on often, seems fairly soft.

Home Cheapo sells a variety of the product , it is designed for the top of house trailers , and seals small cracks and stops leaks well.

$16 to about $25 for a gallon of the best.

It is fantastic at lowering inside temps but is soft and not for any type of foot traffic.

The higher grade will chalk much less than the low priced version . Lasts a 3+ years before re-coating , but hard scrubbing will remove some coating.

Where it can be used ,, GREAT stuff!

Found in the lumber section , not in the paint dept.May not be in all stores if in area whwew there are no house trailers locally.

-- Edited by FF on Friday 23rd of March 2012 04:11:37 AM

Sorry guys, I should have been more clear. I want to coat the top of my trawler with it. I don't have a lot of foot traffic up there and if it reduces heat and seals out moisture I think it will work good for what I need. Has anyone tried it on your trawler? Thanks Paul

It sounds very much like a product i used here in Aus called "Emerclad" water based water proofing paint used to coat top decks of buildings.
I used it as deck paint for many years applied with a very heavily textured roller.
Great stuff but eventually with much manual labour ground it off and went back to 2 pack epoxy with beads for non skid

Why do you not want to lay a layer of f'glass and paint? Then you could walk on it without worry and it wouldn't be an issue if you wanted to throw a pirogue up there.

twiisted71 wrote:
Why do you not want to lay a layer of f'glass and paint? Then you could walk on it without worry and it wouldn't be an issue if you wanted to throw a pirogue up there.
*Thats what I have glass and paint. *I was just thinking about the heat reflective properties and the fact that its $89/ 5 gallons and it would seal anylittle leaks up instead of repainting. *

Most RV stores sell a thick white or silver color coating for the roof.* I have applied several coats to RV's in the past.* However for the roof of our trawler because we to walk/sit/use it, I laid down a thick epoxy with filler and walnut shells on the roof, and then painted over with white paint.* Over the years I have repainted with small walnut shells in the paint.* Lowes has a marine Rustoleum that I been using for the roof. It does not apply and flatten well enough for the salon/hull but for the roof its good enough.*****

Paul: Yeah, I've used the stuff your describing. A deceased Uncle left me an old Winnebago that had been parked under shade trees in Florida for years. The A/C on the roof was caving in, so I propped it up with an aluminum frame from inside, pressure washed the roof and coated everything with this stuff. No question....it did the job. As reported, the temperature rejection is great and wear-ability is very good. I gave it to an old retired couple to live in, and the only thing I saw was that water would puddle a bit during a hard rain, but it still didn't leak. I slapped the stuff right up on the sides and mounting perimeter of the A/C with a worn-out 4 inch brush, and it worked like a gasket. I also used it on leaking roofs of trailers, etc.. with the same results. I confess, I did give it some thought as a temporary fix for my trawler roof that I am now re-skinning. I'm sure it would have worked, but somehow I felt I'd be making a chicken-coop out of my Pilothouse. Its been about six months since I applied it to the tar roofed rear patio of the house here in Key Biscayne with a soft broom. Again, good results. Treading on it too often will tend to peal it rather than wear it down. It dries with a sort of rubbery texture that you can indent with a fingernail. I'll post a photo of the job when I get back to the house this afternoon. BTW, the few times I've had to remove the stuff for a repair of some kind, it was better to scrape it off with a putty knife, window razor or a disc of screen mesh. Any grit of sandpaper would clog quickly.

I have used it for years on RV and it is currently on my me pilot house top,(last winters project) and will be on the new main salon top by the end of next week.

For folks looking for a home brew non skid the walnut shells sold for the purpose work well.

Although they are harder to remove , but tougher in service , model railroad gravel can be had in large bags and does a great job.

Paint the deck really wet , pour ion enough for a 1/2 in layer or more and walk away for 48 hours.

Vac the excess with a new bag and the brides vac with a soft brush.

Paint on a thin top coat and you are done.

The stuff in the clean vac bag can be reused .

Weight is required , so a thick coat will be temporarly needed for each area you do.

The big question is deck damage.

Sanding off walnut shells after dragging junk across the deck, no preoblem, sanding sand or gravel, lots harder!!!

They used to use this stuff for fish/work boats in the south . As I recall, it was referred to as "Miami Teak". Served its purpose well.

Paul, not exactly outside the box thinking on my part but. Why not apply the roof coating to the bulk of the roof you won't be walking on often if at all and epoxy or ??? the areas you do expect a little traffic? Best of both worlds kinda thing.

Something to consider.

Hard to get much more heat reflection than bright white Eurethane and its hard wearing.

-- Edited by twiisted71 on Saturday 24th of March 2012 05:46:50 AM

"won't be walking on often if at all and epoxy or ??? the areas you do expect a little traffic?"

Hard to get much more heat reflection than bright white epoxy and its hard wearing.

Epoxy is great GLUE , it sucks as paint as UV eats it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom