cleaning "sooty" engine room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarli

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pandion
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
Hi
I have an exhaust leak which has left a lot of soot/carbon in my engine room. Is there a good product to use to help wipe this stuff up?

I have had good success with Extreme Simple Green. I dilute it 1:1 and it takes grease off very well. I got it from Home Depot online. It isn’t the easiest thing to find. Used in the airplane world to clean aircraft.

Going thru same issue on boat I recently purchased.

two years ago PO had it happen, saw the old bills he paid (or the insurance) $650.

They did a half ass job, so I keep getting dirty hands, I used Mr. Clean so far doing the best, but it don't wash off, spray on surface or rag wipe on/off.

Dawn and simple green not as good

Any other suggestions welcome

I have had good success with Extreme Simple Green. I dilute it 1:1 and it takes grease off very well. I got it from Home Depot online. It isn’t the easiest thing to find. Used in the airplane world to clean aircraft.

I'll second the Simple Green Extreme / Aircraft cleaner. It'll strip wax off any surface it touches, but it does a spectacular job of loosening up dirt to where 90% of it just rinses off.

It can be ordered from Amazon if you can't get it locally.

I use a garden sprayer to spray it on, scrub with a brush and rinse with clean water. Repeat if necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom