SOCAL Boat Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Were here in Channel Island Marina, this is on all the news here. Terrible incident.

Been diving on that boat for 30 years.
Tragic and scary.
Crazy how things can go to hell so quickly to the point that none below could escape.

Read that they were only 20 yards from shore,!

75 foot charter boat. I'm guessing diesel.

Sad story. I hope those people didn't suffer, and it happened quickly.

The bunks on Dive/Fish boats are tight and everyone has their personal stuff packed in there as well. It's hard to move around in the berthing area, even with good conditions.

I have not been on that boat, but I am guessing it was a typical aft entrance only to the bunks, and no forward way out. I haven't heard much, but sounds like the crew were in the upper house, and the only ones who were able to escape.

I know the boat well, The Coast Guard spokesman slipped and mentioned " explosion" on CNN, Tragic for sure. Always seemed to be a well sorted and ran operation in the past. A diesel boat but something went boom..

HOLLYWOOD

Would the vessel have had an oxygen generator or stored oxygen tanks? Or onboard gasoline storage for retrieval vessels? Or propane? So sad.

Last edited:
Zero knowledge of the vessel or how they generally operate , but dive tanks was the first thing that came to mind...

Electric Compressors for air. Small amount of gas for dinghy. Large amount of propane for cooking. Short circuit could start a fire anywhere.
Apparently the only exit from berthing area was fwd, a ladder up to galley/dining area. If the galley was fully engulfed nobody was getting through it.
Typical fire ext are for small galley fire. Once fb or diesel gets going you need to jump.

Time to see if I can fit thru the small hatch above the V berth. Maybe a few more extinguishers as well.

Electric Compressors for air. Small amount of gas for dinghy. Large amount of propane for cooking. Short circuit could start a fire anywhere.
Apparently the only exit from berthing area was fwd, a ladder up to galley/dining area. If the galley was fully engulfed nobody was getting through it.
Typical fire ext are for small galley fire. Once fb or diesel gets going you need to jump.

Time to see if I can fit thru the small hatch above the V berth. Maybe a few more extinguishers as well.

I was thinking of trying to test if I could fit thru my hatches as well. My boat has a large port hole above the fwd bed and aft there is one too

I have been on that boat a couple of times, once overnight. I dont recall ever thinking about my escape path. there was a big stairway that led up but i dont recall the stern emergency exit. i think that will be an issue.
subsequently i have spent many nights on gulats in Turkey or other 80 or 90 foot craft and never thought about escape routes in case of fire. that will change

I have been on that boat a couple of times, once overnight. I dont recall ever thinking about my escape path. there was a big stairway that led up but i dont recall the stern emergency exit. i think that will be an issue.

Guessing from photos, but there appears to be signs pointing to an emergency escape hatch in the aft end of the berthing area. It might be a scuttle that is above one of the top bunks?

I know it exits to the same galley deck as the stairs so although it meets USCG regs it is seriously deficient in design. Doesn't appear to be any emergency lighting so at 3AM you might have trouble locating the unlighted placards that point you to the emergency exit.

Reports that the fire started on the deck above the berths. Also, our local news broadcast an interview from a former crew member. He said the boat did not have propane. All the galley appliances were electric.

Last edited:
That is what is so puzzling, all electric galley so how did it get fully engulfed so fast that nobody noticed, apparently no alarms went off. Electrical fires usually don’t spread that quickly. The crew said they heard a noise in the galley about 1:30 but thought maybe a passenger doing something in the galley.

I'm a fan of investigating strange noises.

Yeah, I tend to look for things that go bump in the night too.

I'm amazed of the many dozens of dive-boat companies ranging from central to southern California.

The water is cold but the diving is spectacular. 7 mm wetsuits are standard.
Giant kelp grows up to a foot per day and swimming through a kelp forest can be magical. The dive destinations are out far enough so that LOB boats are the best/only practical way to get out there.

-Sven

Guessing from photos, but there appears to be signs pointing to an emergency escape hatch in the aft end of the berthing area. It might be a scuttle that is above one of the top bunks?

I know it exits to the same galley deck as the stairs so although it meets USCG regs it is seriously deficient in design. Doesn't appear to be any emergency lighting so at 3AM you might have trouble locating the unlighted placards that point you to the emergency exit.

Here's a photo posted on the Sailing Anarchy Forum of the escape hatch from the sister ship Visions:

15492-albums680-picture5463.jpg

Seems to me it would be very difficult to use, even under ideal conditions! :nonono:

Jim

They would die of smoke inhalation long before they could find that exit let alone get anyone out of it.

Some thoughts of mine, after listening to that captain narrative, who had a good grasp of that boat.

The risk picture seems to be:
HP air storage.
Lots of Diesel.
zero propane.
A little bit of gas for the chase boat.
Genset running all night.
Some compressed Oxygen.
A VHP air compressor.
Possible charging of some high energy Li-Ion scooters.
ER used CO2 for fire suppression.

A bit hard to come up with an explosion scenario. All the components are there for one, but it would take a couple hits to align the swiss cheese. Certainly, leakage of pure O2 in an engine room, along with some gas fumes and an ignition source makes an explosion. Maybe even without the O2 leak. But, O2 will certainly exaggerate it.
Li-ion scooter batteries can be fairly large, and therefore a fire risk that won't want to self-extinguish. Li-ion dive lights have been known to flame up during charge also. Far less regulated industry than laptops and pads, phones, etc.
It has happened that a simple drop of an O2 aluminum cylinder has caused a fiery explosion. Very rare.
Air compressors have been known to explode when unexpected high % of O2 is fed during nitrox blending. But, they would not intentionally run a AC at night due to noise?

Last edited:
I can't believe they ran the genset all night. I heard it was 55 KW, running it at virtually no load means it wouldn't last long.

I was baffled regarding a fire near the charging shelf reaching the aft galley/dinning space so fast - until I saw the long foam (?) cushions lining both sides of the salon.

Because the engine room was aft, to install a watertight exit door in the transom would mean a railed companionway path through the EM between the engines. Doable and not too expensive.

I can't believe they ran the genset all night. I heard it was 55 KW, running it at virtually no load means it wouldn't last long.

I was baffled regarding a fire near the charging shelf reaching the aft galley/dinning space so fast - until I saw the long foam (?) cushions lining both sides of the salon.

Because the engine room was aft, to install a watertight exit door in the transom would mean a railed companionway path through the EM between the engines. Doable and not too expensive.

With 40 people below decks the genset was NOT unloaded. Each person is equivelent to a 750W Heater. That is 30Kw of heat being generated so the generator needs to run Air Conditioning to counter that. Aparently you have never slept below decks in August in SOCAL.

Just looking at the way they squeezed so many people into that cabin area below decks gives me the willies. Then add that escape that you almost have to be a contortionist to get out of and no way I would spend the night on that boat or any like it.

Just looking at the way they squeezed so many people into that cabin area below decks gives me the willies. Then add that escape that you almost have to be a contortionist to get out of and no way I would spend the night on that boat or any like it.

The nuc subs I was on, the bunks were about the same plus one way in..... one way out. Less space person than required by federal prison a.uthorities,
and that's for the entire sub too. The only place you could swing a dead cat was in the mess area assuming you do not what to swing it vertically while standing.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I would trust a nuclear submarine over a dive boat, but I declined going nuke when I was in the navy so I am not about to start now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom