Boat mattress's are expensive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On OTDE the discussion would be "since a good nights sleep " is a RIGHT ,

who will be forced to pay for the mattress of your dreams when you purchase it?

RT Firefly wrote:
alcoho-frolics
I have NEVER heard this term and it is PERFECT to describe several of my dock neighbors (and maybe myself
confuse.gif
).** LOVE IT.*

For you folks that have memory foam or Tempurpedic how firm is it? It sounds from what some of you have said that it's not firm and allows you to sink in somewhat. That would not work for me.*

I'm thinking of putting 1/2 inch plywood on top of the current mattress and foam on top of that provided it is somewhat firm.

timjet wrote:
For you folks that have memory foam or Tempurpedic how firm is it? It sounds from what some of you have said that it's not firm and allows you to sink in somewhat. That would not work for me.*

I'm thinking of putting 1/2 inch plywood on top of the current mattress and foam on top of that provided it is somewhat firm.

I have a genuine Tempurpedic mattress at home and it is very comfortable and I don't sink in.* I don't know, but I suspect there is more than one layer of foam in the "real" mattresses, perhaps latex foam on the bottom and memory foam on the top.* 8" of memory foam probably wouldn't make a good mattress.

Why not go to a local store that sells Tempurpedic and try one out.* Ask for information on the construction or check the Internet.

-- Edited by rwidman on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 06:09:31 AM

For you folks that have memory foam or Tempurpedic how firm is it? It sounds from what some of you have said that it's not firm and allows you to sink in somewhat. That would not work for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may as well toss the old foam right out once you put in a piece of plywood. The whole point of a mattress of any kind is to cushion us from the hard surface below and allow our hard spots, hips, shoulders, heads a bit of relief from pressure points so the body weight is spread out more.

The memory foam topper (2-3") simply softens the harder foam and/or mattress below. Yes you will sink in a bit, but that's a bit. You aren't going to disappear. Rolling over is still easily done.

We put the toppers on both our boat V-berth cushions and our trailer mattress and it made a huge difference in comfort and for a whole lot [LOTS] less money than changing everything.
We realize that eventually the actual mattress will have to be changed but it has been a bunch of years now and still going strong.

Don't write them off to quickly. I understand your reluctance as I too was reluctant but not anymore. It was because of the original trial on the boat that we knew what to do about our uncomfortable trailer mattress.

As with anything new it will take a couple or so nights to adjust.

Even our house mattress has a memory foam top as part of the mattress but again it's just the top 2-3". All it does is even out some of the hard spots and as I've gotten older those get more frequent. I too have always liked a harder mattress but after back trouble among a few other aches I like the toppers and definitely sleep better.

Anyway, to each his own way.

-- Edited by C lectric on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 10:02:08 PM

C lectric wrote:
You may as well toss the old foam right out once you put in a piece of plywood. The whole point of a mattress of any kind is to cushion us from the hard surface below and allow our hard spots, hips, shoulders, heads a bit of relief from pressure points so the body weight is spread out more.

The memory foam topper (2-3") simply softens the harder foam and/or mattress below. Yes you will sink in a bit, but that's a bit. You aren't going to disappear. Rolling over is still easily done.
*Thanks C electric, I'll go to a store and try one out.* My home mattress is a sleep number bed and I love it. I have it on the hardest setting and wake up with no back pain. That's why I'm concerned about the memory form, I want a firm mattress. However, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for all who commented.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom