Reasonable or Nit-Pickey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Per wrote:
certain items are required to be considered seaworthy/legal, I would highly recommend you ask seller fix those as part of the transaction.
Bottom paint and canvas - well that comes along with a used boat.
*While "seaworthy/legal" requirements might hold water (no pun intended) for a stronger negotiating stance...they hold no power over the seller to fix...there is no requirement to disclose/fix like in real estate so I would negotiate big ticket items long before a measly bilge pump or expired flares or lack of life jackets...all those are pennies in the big scheme of things and can sour a deal over nothing.

-- Edited by psneeld on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 07:16:58 PM

psneeld wrote:Per wrote:
certain items are required to be considered seaworthy/legal, I would highly recommend you ask seller fix those as part of the transaction.
*While "seaworthy/legal" requirements might hold water (no pun intended) for a stronger negotiating stance...they hold no power over the seller to fix...there is no requirement to disclose/fix like in real estate so I would negotiate big ticket items long before a measly bilge pump or expired flares or lack of life jackets...all those are pennies in the big scheme of things and can sour a deal over nothing.

those "seaworthy" items can actually add up pretty quick, navigation lights, horn, radio/antennas, bilge pumps and not to forget the required engine alarm and fire extinguishing system. and how about the electric system and battery banks...

Per wrote:psneeld wrote:Per wrote:

those "seaworthy" items can actually add up pretty quick, navigation lights, horn, radio/antennas, bilge pumps and not to forget the required engine alarm and fire extinguishing system. and how about the electric system and battery banks...

*What "required" engine alarm and fire extinguishing system?

And like I said in my first post...without the asking, offering, and fair market/going prices....everyone is just throwing around ideas to negotiate*but it's all thin, hot air till those numbers are brought to light.

Am I right or wrong? What sea worthy items? I know of no such things that are (required) for a personal water craft to be bought or sold. If you offered an amount depending on survey and haul out and find nothing more than minor maintenance items ,then pull the trigger, if you love the boat, dont let a $30. bilge pump blow it for you. If you have ANY doubts , Wait,there are thousands for sale. BB

"I know of no such things that are (required) for a personal water craft to be bought or sold."

Didn't someone write not long ago that the wiring has to be labeled as "marine" wire?

Dis ol world now*gots toooo damnnn*many must beees, must haveees, and must dooos!* Shtt, its a getten ta be like a quizzz game on all fronts - That Includes Marine!!*

If ya gots a gooood head on ta*ya shoulders then operating in da boating world ain't Rocketttt Science!* Geeeezzzz - twixt CG regs, harbor regs, marine partol regs, police regs, state regs, county regs, city regs, town regs, municipality regs, ins regs and too many Admiral's regs... tiz enough to drive a good Capen cwazy!* Why I recall when there few if any regs and police boats were seldom if ever seen - inland waters LI, NY, that is, in da*1950's and 60's!

Best to stay low key these days and take of oneself's own*needs!

That be all I gots ta say!!

LMAO

lolz agree with you there Art, I think a lot of us boat people are somewhat free thinkers and dont care much for government how to run our business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom