Grand Banks transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grandbanks3642

Veteran Member
Hi,
I found a boat I like, a GB 32. The 32 is in New Jersey and I am in Seattle. If we overlook the flying out for surveys and misc. like that, how much would it cost to transport and could I transport this boat without taking the flybrige off? (It’s a fiberglass ‘74, the price is 34 something) still in the information gathering stage so any comments help :)
Thanks for input.

You might be able to transport it with the bridge on, but the cost will skyrocket due to the route they would have to take and the lead and maybe a chase vehicle. It would probably be significantly cheaper to remove the bridge, but that opens a different can of worms. If you remove the bridge then I recommend that you pay to have the person who will reinstall it to go east and remove it. That would be money well spent. In the end I think that it may not be economical to move the boat that far for that cost of a boat.

I checked into trucking my Willard 36 2-years ago from San Francisco to Florida . Total height of. Boat and trailer could not exceed 14' - I was a few inches over. I forget exactly, but quote I received was in the $13k range. Did not include yard work on both ends. I am told these quotes are negotiable however I didn't get that far.

Hard to believe there isn't a suitable GB in the Seattle area.

There is a post in the GB section of this forum about this.

We trucked our 1990 GB 32 last year from S.F to Anacortes. It comes in just under 14’ when on a low boy trailer. Everything comes off fly bridge, windscreen, railings, compass, wheel, Morse controls. Find a trucking company that has done GB 32s before, like Associated Boat Transport out of Marysville, WA. Cost largely determined by the number of states you cross..each requires its own permits, etc. cost could exceed $20K.
Good luck!
Oldersalt

I'd find one closer. You'll spend more money on survey trips and hauling cross country than you'd save. There are two GB32s for sale in Port Sidney.

I’ve been looking hard for one in the Seattle/Vancouver area, most are wood and the fiberglass ones are very pricey.

West coast boats are usually more expensive than east coast or gulf coast boats, due to the transportation costs. The fiberglass one in Port Sidney is priced typical for the area, particularly with its white fiberglass decks in place of teak. I admit, they look a little strange on a GB, but it sure beats leaky teaky deck screws.

David

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it for a $34k boat. You could take your airline costs, lodging, shipping, survey and whatever else and buy a $55k boat closer to you.

Seems like a lot of added stress, time and money for a 1974 rig.

And then every now and then, this happens...

Attachments

• C917D0EB-702D-499D-81D3-47DBACEA4D95.jpeg
    C917D0EB-702D-499D-81D3-47DBACEA4D95.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 259
My uncle owns a 32' GB sedan style wood hulled trawler and just had it trucked from Los Angeles to Montana. The cost was way cheaper than I anticipated. $3/mile is what I heard.

He did end up cutting the flybridge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom