CCA for Detroit 8.2L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bostew

Vessel Name
C Horse
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 DC
Hi, My starboard engine always needs a parallel helper switch to start it 8.2l Detroit Diesel. Does anyone know just what CCA BATTERY IS needed to start it without. Useing the port side batteit’s.

Depending, a bit, on starting temps; I'd say 900 to 1000 CCA. I start both our 8.2's on one 8D battery, one at a time. Turn the key, the engines are running. Very little, if any, cranking time involved.

I have 2 banks of 2 8d batteries each. And I've use that setup on many boats and started v12, etc, easily.

Thanks, I figured at least 1175 should be more then enough. I've got two banks of 3 group sized 24 550 CCA in parallel. One set for the port engine and house and one for the starboard. This a pretty new to me boat but the starboard side I see now a 2014 sticker on it and the caps have worked off on one of the. I'm thinking they are junk now. And your right I've never seen such fast starting engines. Fuel, oil, air and juice and instant start.

trouble shoot it

Hi, My starboard engine always needs a parallel helper switch to start it 8.2l Detroit Diesel. Does anyone know just what CCA BATTERY IS needed to start it without. Useing the port side batteit’s.

sometimes the contacts in the starter sol. get burnt up, and need to be replaced, but you could have a batt problem, of course you could swap batteries and of course connections on batts and starter, and ground connections are just as important!

A good volt meter on the battery terminal can l help decide what the problem is.

If the boat has a dash digital meter its probably the best spot to monitor from.

Sounds like a bad starter. Check the amp draw on both starters. I'm betting your starboard engine starter amp draw is HIGH !!

pete

I’ll have to do some reading and do that.

I have a decent meter. Also picked up a good battery tester. Should get me in the ball park. Must get to the marina tomorrow to button it up for Hurricane. We are just on the predicted edge but you never know till it’s your turn.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom