Your dinghy's anchor, or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skipperdude wrote:
I don't carry one. I have never had use for it. Where I boat the beaches are steep and the tide*really go's out (We have some of the largest tides in the world. Second only to bay of Fundy Nova Scotia)

I anchored on a steep beach once and went berry picking.

Got back to a dink anchored about 20 ft from shore. (There is a boner for you)

I just carry a 200 ft painter. (Yellow Polly)**Hike up about a mile to shore and tie to a tree or rock above high tide.

I don't like to drag the dink over* rocks so I drag a long line instead.

I never woried about getting swept to sea as inflatables are kind of hard to sink. Secondary propulsion.*Oar's/Sail*I always carry my portable VHF. I don't fish out of the dink. (*Hooks = holes)

Some think it is a safety issue. *I just can't see where.

If I am in the dink I am either headed to shore. To the boat, or the boat is headed to the bottom.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 19th of March 2012 05:50:17 PM
*I hear ya, but maybe it depends on where you are...* When I said "swept to sea" I literally meant that by the time we had contacted someone we would have been in the ocean.* Oars would have gotten us to shore somewhere else, not where out boat was.* In a Georgia river where the current is raging out at 2-3 knots, an anchor in your dinghy is a prudent thing to have on board.

We too carry a small folding grapnel, as pictured.** Never used it to actually anchor the dingbat but for shore duty it works well.

Particularily when running a shore tie, my wife can simply toss it ashore and the dinghy will not drift* away and no need to deal with two lines,* the bat line and the shore line.

Egregious wrote:
*I hear ya, but maybe it depends on where you are...* When I said "swept to sea" I literally meant that by the time we had contacted someone we would have been in the ocean.* Oars would have gotten us to shore somewhere else, not where out boat was.* In a Georgia river where the current is raging out at 2-3 knots, an anchor in your dinghy is a prudent thing to have on board.

*You are totally right I thought obout that after I posted. It really does depend on where you boat.

Sd

Back
Top Bottom