How will you deal with something like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
Thank God we don't have much in the way of severe weather here in the PNW, occasionally a big wind storm, but nothing like those folks on the east coast. But we do have earth quakes, and they say there is a big one coming.

Saw is on the local news this week. Not going to put the boat up for sale, but since we live on the boat full time, it makes you stop and think.

Last edited:
If the big one does come, what would happen? Whole cities swallowed, gigantic waves rolling in from the sea?

It's an interesting puzzle to think about but I'm not going to worry about it too much. The "Big One" is coming. But is that tomorrow? Next week? Next 500 yrs?

I'm thinking a full time liveaboard in Anacortes could be in a better position than many others if you're on the boat when it happens. I've ridden out a couple of lesser quakes onboard, it's a wild ride. So much will depend upon the boat surviving the initial shock or not. Assuming the boat survives and the marina's channels are not blocked I'd head for deeper water immediately. You'll be on your own, think of it as an extended cruise.

If you're off the boat you'll be in the same situation as everyone else. Trying to survive falling power poles, trees and buildings. Trying to get around among the chaos. If you're off Fidalgo Island you won't be able to get to the boat due to bridges being down.

You can worry and plan as much as you want but luck will determine your and your boat's initial survival. After that your resourcefulness and resilience will matter.

I remember the "Three days, three ways" campaign that was around years ago. Be prepared to look after yourself for 3 days. Well, when the big one hits 3 days won't be nearly enough.

If the big one does come, what would happen? Whole cities swallowed, gigantic waves rolling in from the sea?

In the Seattle and Tacoma areas, the "Big One" will include a wall of pyroclastic lava/ash/snowmelt flowing down the Duwamish and Puyallup rivers from what used to be Mount Rainier, scouring the landscape and igniting all combustibles. Little need for survival planning; little survival.

Russell, up there in Anacortes, may escape the worst of it if the winds carry the ash plume away. But he will need to fight off the million or so starving zombies fleeing northward.
Fortunately I plan to be home in Southern Oregon that day.

Last edited:
My plan is to keep the boat with enough fuel and water that I can have heat and power for at least a couple weeks. The only issue, since I don’t live aboard, is to make it to the boat. I’m hoping that the Narrows Bridge will survive a large quake so I can get across, even if we have to walk or bike.

I may be naive, but I’m not worried about tsunamis this deep into the South Sound.

Think I’ll stick w/ hurricanes.

Can't seem to get the link attached.

Last edited:
It's an interesting question. Personally, I think I'd like to be a couple of locks up from the ocean in a deep lake. Lake Superior comes to mind.

Second choice would be a very long large tidal river with modest flows and many turns. The Hudson river well above New York city or the Saint Johns river well above Jacksonville. The Okeechobee waterway on either side of the lake would also be good.

Ted

Many years ago a couple fishing boats anchored for the night in a bay behind a spit protecting them from the ocean swells. A large land slide in the bay caused a wave that picked up the boats, anchors and all. The crews awoke on the ocean about a 1/4 mile out. In Alaska, but don't remember where, 1970s or 80s.

We're about 350 miles up the Columbia from the Pacific so I'm not worried about any issues here. We do have kids in the Seattle area so that is a concern. They're not as concerned about a big earthquake or tsunami as they are about the nuclear powered power generating station that's about 15 or so miles north of us.

The way I look at things like this is I can't go through my life worrying about when or where or how my death is going to come. If I did it would drive me crazy.

And then there is the 1958 Lituya Bay Alaska Tsunami, triggered by a 7.8 earthquake. A huge amount of rock was released at the head of the bay causing one of the biggest tsunamis known to have ever occurred. There was even an eye witness survivor to tell the tale.

Bill, you've gone right by Lituya on your trips to Prince William Sound. Not too far from Yakatat.

Lepke, I think this is the event you're referring to.

https://earthquake.alaska.edu/60-years-ago-1958-earthquake-and-lituya-bay-megatsunami

Last edited:
Very interesting modeling. Makes me thing that my complacency is ill placed.

...Lituya Bay...

We were well offshore, but I have flown over it at low altitude several times. The avalanche ran down a mountain side and hit the water with such force that the tsunami scar reaches about 1200 feet up the mountain facing across the bay.

My plan is...I’m hoping that the Narrows Bridge will survive a large quake so I can get across, even if we have to walk or bike.

O...kay.

Attachments

• narrows.png
    narrows.png
    165 KB · Views: 60
Russell,

If we were aboard and had some warning, I would prefer to be underway and in deep water. I would not sit at the marina and hope for the best outcome. We would need an hour notice.

We had a seismic event with a potential tsunami scenario about 2 years ago. I thought about the boat and the options it presented, but ended up going to work instead. Ended up there was no development of a tsunami, but it was a good drill.

We had a tsunami warning a few years back. Despite warnings not to approach Sydney Harbor because of the danger, we walked down to the Bay where the boat was moored on a mooring ball (as we were then) and set up camp on a high point we hoped was high enough, to wait and watch until tsunami arrival time.

Absolutely nothing happened. I`ve no doubt the Rivercats (cat hulled fast twin engine secret underwater tsunami generator ferries designed on the back of a beer coaster in the Maritime Minister`s Office) continued wreaking havoc on the foreshores, but where we were, zip, nada, zilch. Very disappointing.

I was a live aboard in the L.A. Harbor when the Northridge earthquake hit in 1994. It was a magnitude 6.7 that occurred on January 17, 1994, at 4:30:55 a.m.

As most know, when you're asleep on a boat it pitches and yaws in an almost soothing manner and after years of living on a boat you don't even think about the motion of the boat.

But on January 17, 1994 it was like the hand of God reached down and picked my boat straight up and then pushed it straight back down into the water. This went on for a few cycles before the violence returned to the more normal pitching and yawing I was used to except it was massively more animated.

I got out of bed, looked out the companionway hatch and all the telephone poles in the marina were rocking back and forth, the car alarms were screaming from the parking lot, and the transformers on the power lines off in the distance were exploding from the power lines touching and shorting out. The sea water was sloshing up and over the banks and the docks were like a fun-house roller coaster.

It was memorable.

From the simulations, I would have about 2 hours to get to my boat and get out of Gig Harbor. From there, I would head south. Once south of the Narrows, there would be any number of places that I could wait out the next 2-3 hours of tsunami effects and then see how much damage the rest of the infrastructure of the region sustained.

Based on that modeling, Gig Harbor likely could sustain over 10' of rise and fall of the sea level. If it occurs during a high tide, the floating docks will go above the pilings. If it occurs at a low tide, I could be sitting on the bottom. Sitting on the bottom would be preferable.

Just listen to some Buffet or Grateful Dead and you'll be fine......

St Helens didn't do much for the Puget Sound boating community. That impact was mostly to SW Washington.

Rainier, should it ever become active would do some sever damage to Puyallup and the valley, may be Tacoma as well. The ash damage would depend on what side blew out and wind direction. Gig Harbor would be covered eventually. If Puget Sound boaters were swift enough, moving away from a Rainier event could be possible for most.

I experienced Mt. St Helens when I was in Bellevue. It took some hours before any ash made it that far North. (75 miles) Because of the wind pattern the majority of the ash blew East. At the time St. Helens blew her top I had a traveling job to Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon. Just not the week after May 18th 1980.

Rainier, should it ever become active would do some sever damage to Puyallup and the valley, may be Tacoma as well. The ash damage would depend on what side blew out and wind direction. Gig Harbor would be covered eventually. If Puget Sound boaters were swift enough, moving away from a Rainier event could be possible for most.

The Puyallup river would be hit pretty hard if it happened which would affect Tacoma. Fortunately, I live high and away from river valleys. Depending on wind, the ash fall is rough. I had enough issues with ash from the fires a few years ago.

A bit of reading on Mt Hood past eruptions and immediate river dams will cause those upstream near the Columbia River drainage and tributaries to fear for their future. No problem for down streamers other than the now dry river being totally clogged with lava and volcanic debris. It's due to blow sometime in the next few thousand years.

The earth is not static, only the inhabitants are, waiting for the next but unknown natural disaster.

my dad worked on galloping gerty, and something not to many know, the state bought an insurance policy for the bridge, paid $50,000 for it! when the bridge went down, the state found there was`nt any insurance, the salesman had run off with the 50 thou, i think they found him, no money left, so a new bridge was built with our tax dollars again!! this time, models were built, and a ton of testing was done in Boeings wind tunnel...clyde

The "big one" has been sold by Chicken Little since year one.

Anyone want 50,000 gallons of diesel since Peak OIl is just around the corner?

We're about 350 miles up the Columbia from the Pacific so I'm not worried about any issues here. We do have kids in the Seattle area so that is a concern. They're not as concerned about a big earthquake or tsunami as they are about the nuclear powered power generating station that's about 15 or so miles north of us.

The way I look at things like this is I can't go through my life worrying about when or where or how my death is going to come. If I did it would drive me crazy.

B.C. is 100% hydro powered, which is awesome. Power is still reasonably cheap here, our power bill is $235 mo. Heat, air conditioning, hot water, hot tub etc. plus regular stuff like all outlets, horse barn...
I'm very happy to not have nuclear power here, better safe than sorry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom