snow crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Finally got a weekend with winds below 30 knts

First I had to free the dock lines.* I limited out on the first set.

Ship and crew back in port. We have received 39Feet of snow this year.

A few pics

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 12:19:36 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 12:56:05 PM

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 108
  • deck line.jpg
    deck line.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 124
  • crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 119
  • crew.jpg
    crew.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 123
  • snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 105
  • snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 151
wow I cannot imagine boating in those conditions.* But the fruits of your efforts sure look tasty.**
biggrin.gif

Were the docklines frozen or "just" covered with snow?

If SD's docklines are like ours, even freezing weather will make them so stiff that you can pick the coil up off the dock and it will retain it's shape. Like holding a big Frisbee. You can bend the lines but it's an effort.

I learned a few years ago when we were up in SE Alaska that "snow crab" is a marketing name. The actual name of the crab is "tanner crab." Sort of like Chilean Sea Bass. When we did a job in Chile with the airline which at the time was called LAN Chile, we learned there is no such fish as a Chilean Sea Bass. It's a marketing name given to a number of different fish. LAN ships fresh and frozen fish all over the place and it was when we were filming boxes of fish labeled "Chilean Sea Bass" being loaded into a 767 freighter that I asked the air cargo manager what the characteristics of the fish were. That's when he laughed and told us that a "Chilean Sea Bass" can be just about anything as long as its meat is light colored or white.

Marin wrote:
If SD's docklines are like ours, even freezing weather will make them so stiff that you can pick the coil up off the dock and it will retain it's shape. Like holding a big Frisbee. You can bend the lines but it's an effort.

I learned a few years ago when we were up in SE Alaska that "snow crab" is a marketing name. The actual name of the crab is "tanner crab." Sort of like Chilean Sea Bass. When we did a job in Chile with the airline which at the time was called LAN Chile, we learned there is no such fish as a Chilean Sea Bass. It's a marketing name given to a number of different fish. LAN ships fresh and frozen fish all over the place and it was when we were filming boxes of fish labeled "Chilean Sea Bass" being loaded into a 767 freighter that I asked the air cargo manager what the characteristics of the fish were. That's when he laughed and told us that a "Chilean Sea Bass" can be just about anything as long as its meat is light colored or white.
*They are really Chinocetes Opilio or as you say Tanner crab. Man were they tasty. The season is only till the 15 of next month. I hope to get some more this weekend.

SD

Pineapple Girl wrote:
wow I cannot imagine boating in those conditions.* But the fruits of your efforts sure look tasty.**
biggrin.gif

Were the docklines frozen or "just" covered with snow?
*Comm'on where is you sence of adventure.

And yes they were frozen. If you kick them hard enough you can usually get them undone. I had to take them all into the cabin so they would thaw enough to tie the boat back up.

A*shot of a cooked crab and a live one and my little crew member.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 02:09:34 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 02:10:47 PM

Attachments

• cooked.jpg
    cooked.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 108
  • puff & crab.jpg
    puff & crab.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 111
Looks like sittin' in front of the fire with a mug of something hot*type weather to me.*
smile.gif
*I applaud your fortitude.

I agree totally with Jennifer.* But I'm proud of you, Skipperdude.

When you live where I do. We have such a short boating season.

You have to take advantage of any and all opportunities.

Or I would just be sitting in the harbor all the time.

*Thanks for the kind words but I have fresh crab.

Naa naa naa naa naa na.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 02:50:09 PM

I cant imagine! Ive been whining about the 20 knt. trades for the last week. Trade ya some lobster or conch for some of those yummy crabs. Still, the only way I want to see ice on my boat, is floating in rum....... BB

Swap ya any time come on up and get'em
biggrin.gif

SD

skipperdude wrote:
A few pics

After all my years in Hawaii that looks like heaven to me.* No stupid sun. No barren, lifeless beaches. (There are no seagulls in Hawaii. Know why?* Nothing for them to eat.)* No boring weather.* Puget Sound/BC is a huge improvement but your area is even better.* Enjoy.* You only go around once.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom