Twisting flopper-stoppers ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trawler_traveler

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shiplet
Vessel Make
382 Diesel Duck
We tried out the Magna flopper-stoppers last week and I was surprised to see that they twisted so badly around the line up to the booms that the 3-strand started coming undone on one side and the (floating) retrieval-line got maybe 20-30 wraps around the 3-strand.

Is there a trick to stopping them from twisting ?

Thanks,

-Sven

I have never used them but maybe the 3 strand twisted line is causing the twist of the flopper stopper? Have you tried a braided line?

try inserting a bullet swivel between the line and the flopper stopper

Are you asking about paravanes with birds in the water underway or at anchor floppers?

try inserting a bullet swivel between the line and the flopper stopper

I considered that option but it wouldn't work with the retrieval-line which by design is attached to the plates themselves so you don't have to lift the flopper-stopper against the dynamic water pressure.

My previous post was with the thought that the 3 strand may be stretching and as it stretches the strands unwind, maybe.

I have also recently installed a Magma flopper stopper setup. Same problem. I'm using braided line.

I'm considering installing a swivel and not using the retrieval line. Lifting against water pressure can be done slowly, as I can use my halyard winch. The only negative would be if the line failed I'd have to dive to retrieve the flopper stopper.

Sven - A weak point on the Magma flopper stoppers is the spot welded hinges. If you haven't done so already, it is worth drilling and bolting the hinges with SS bolts and lock nuts. I've heard from several other users that the hinge attachment is a common failure.

My previous post was with the thought that the 3 strand may be stretching and as it stretches the strands unwind, maybe.

I've been thinking about your suggestion, that's why I haven't commented yet. I could see how the pretty strong pull could cause the strands to want to 'unwind' and then when the pull is released it just snaps too fast to re-twist.

I'm still thinking ... thanks :)

I have also recently installed a Magma flopper stopper setup. Same problem. I'm using braided line.

I'm considering installing a swivel and not using the retrieval line. Lifting against water pressure can be done slowly, as I can use my halyard winch. The only negative would be if the line failed I'd have to dive to retrieve the flopper stopper.

Sven - A weak point on the Magma flopper stoppers is the spot welded hinges. If you haven't done so already, it is worth drilling and bolting the hinges with SS bolts and lock nuts. I've heard from several other users that the hinge attachment is a common failure.

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at the welds.

Interesting that you are using braid. Dave's suggestion made sense so I was hoping that might be it.

We don't have any winches that we could use on LAGOM but since the retrieval line was all wrapped up around the main line I ended up pulling them both up as if there was no separate retrieval line. So, in calm conditions it can be done.

Thanks.

-Sven

Sven,

Don’t know if it will work or not but it is something easy to try. I usually try the simple stuff first... Let us know. I don’t have flopper stoppers but have given some thought about the Magma ones. How well are they working for you? (Besides the spinning problem)

On my commercial boats, I used a 3 way swivel. I never had an issue with twisting. I used chain from the swivel down.

Auscan,
On my setup I have never experienced twist - but mine are home made AND have a line from the bow rail attached to the flopper....I will take a pic of it tomorrow in daylight
Regards Brett

I don’t have flopper stoppers but have given some thought about the Magma ones. How well are they working for you? (Besides the spinning problem)

They are definitely effective. They don't stop all rocking but they make our round bottomed hull very tolerable even in very rolly conditions. We deploy them off the paravane booms so they have maybe 8' of leverage. The first time we tried them we just hung them over the gunnels and they were predictably less effective and there were times when we had to hold on in the swells.

-Sven

I was wondering how effective they are when you don’t have a boom. We don’t have a boom so they may not be so good for us, thanks for the info.

Did you have a retrieval line ?

Thx.

-Sven
Yeah, from the 3 way swivel top was to the pole, bottom to the flopper and center was the retrieval line. All heavy line or galvanized 3/8 chain. I rarely ran fast with the floppers out. When I did, I ran a line from the flopper to near the bow. I had the biggest floppers available and could troll across big swells with hardly any roll. When I first thru them out, they stopped the roll so suddenly it was like running aground.

I rarely ran fast with the floppers out. When I did, I ran a line from the flopper to near the bow.

Ok we're talking about different things. It isn't the paravane fish that twist the line, it is the Magna flopper-stoppers like the ones in this picture
14993_mga_r10-702_ppm-tif

Thanks.

-Sven

I've only just installed the setup for my Magma flopper stopper, but they do seem to be effective. (if I can sort out the tangling lines).

I measured the roll at anchor to be 8-10 degrees with a 2 foot swell. After deploying a single flopper stopper the roll reduced to 2-3 degrees in the same conditions.

Steve,
Now we are sure we are talking about flopper stoppers here is my setup. Take note the flopper is not fully deployed to its extent away from the boat for purposes of actually seeing it above surface for picture sake.
At the moment I'm in the Johnston river Innisfail with quite a significant current and flopper sits perfectly sideways as required.
Regards Brett

Attachments

• IMG_20190903_134740.jpg
    IMG_20190903_134740.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20190903_134555.jpg
    IMG_20190903_134555.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 51
Now I know where my hatch went. GIVE IT BACK!

Lol-Memes-13.jpg

Ok we're talking about different things. It isn't the paravane fish that twist the line, it is the Magna flopper-stoppers like the ones in this picture

===

I have the same flopper stoppers and they twist also. Mine are hung from 5/16ths Dyneema braid so there is no issue with the line coming apart. I ditched the retrieval lines a long time ago. If you pull them up slowly the water spills out and makes the weight manageable. Low stretch line like Dyneema is very desirable for increasing the roll dampening effect.

Sven,

Don’t know if it will work or not but it is something easy to try. I usually try the simple stuff first... Let us know. I don’t have flopper stoppers but have given some thought about the Magma ones. How well are they working for you? (Besides the spinning problem)

I used a single Magma with a telescoping boom which came with it. The boom's base was secured in a Magma socket mounted just above the fwd end of my GB42's aft spray rail on the port side. the end of the boom was secured with guy lines fore and aft and a halyard up the the yardarm level of the mast. It worked well enough at Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas which is a rolley anchorage.

I know this is primarily about the magma... but in case anyone gets tired of theirs I used this one and have had amazing success even just off the side of the mid-ship cleat. Like it is amazing and my wife thought I was a crazy man buying it until she experienced the difference first hand.

FlopStopper.com

Magma Flopper Spinning

We tried out the Magna flopper-stoppers last week and I was surprised to see that they twisted so badly around the line up to the booms that the 3-strand started coming undone on one side and the (floating) retrieval-line got maybe 20-30 wraps around the 3-strand.

Is there a trick to stopping them from twisting ?

-Sven

Yes. There is a very simple trick that worked well for me. The Magma comes with a retrieval line that takes the pressure off when lifting it out of the water. Simply tie that line to a cleat or stanchion with just enough length to let the flopper work properly. That line will prevent it from spinning.

I have no idea if 3-strand would cause spinning, but it is contra-indicated in any event because of the stretch. I used Amsteel.

David

I know this is primarily about the magma... but in case anyone gets tired of theirs I used this one and have had amazing success even just off the side of the mid-ship cleat. Like it is amazing and my wife thought I was a crazy man buying it until she experienced the difference first hand.

FlopStopper.com

Our anchorages can be very rolly -- enough at times that it's difficult to work in the galley. I ran two of the Magma's until I also discovered the FlopStopper. OMG. That thing really works. My wife not only noticed the incredible difference, she ordered me to buy a second one. I have yet to need two of them deployed, but I did rig a stainless pole that sticks out about 5' beyond the rail, which increased its effectiveness even more.

Very expensive, but I think worth it in tough conditions.

David

Back
Top Bottom