Diesel fuel in Ketchikan....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DDW

Guru
Is one dock better than another for any reason, such as usually cheaper, or easier to get onto? Should I avoid any particular one? Only need about 300 gallons but the three docks seem kind of far apart to shop....

Call each to get a price. For convenience and easy docking the one adjacent to the airport ferry is our choice.

The north dock run by Crowley is not manned a lot of the time. While you can get fuel using a credit card at any time, it limits you to $150 a transaction and maximum of two transactions to a credit card. Last time there we ran out of credit cards. You also have to watch the float planes since it is located almost behind the Taquan Air float plane dock.

OK thanks for that info. We'll be fueling up Sunday so one of the docks south of town might be a better bet.

The north dock run by Crowley is not manned a lot of the time. While you can get fuel using a credit card at any time, it limits you to $150 a transaction and maximum of two transactions to a credit card. Last time there we ran out of credit cards. You also have to watch the float planes since it is located almost behind the Taquan Air float plane dock.

Geez TP, you must get started early. The last few years we've insured Phil to be at Crowley when we show up after 8 AM. I'll share some interesting cruise ship stories, blocking south fuel docks, next time we see you, Caroline and Winston.

Tom,

Not early just that most of the time no one is on the dock or is alone in the office on land, or it's a weekend. I only get fuel there a couple of times at most in a year, so its not a big sample.

Tom

Isn't the fuel dock on the south end of town, next to the Coast Guard station, also owned by Crowley?

At the south end, there's the Crowley (used to be Anderes) fuel barge/dock just south of Thomas Basin, and then further south next to the CG station is the Petro dock.

At the south end, there's the Crowley (used to be Anderes) fuel barge/dock just south of Thomas Basin, and then further south next to the CG station is the Petro dock.

Richard, sending you a pm (unrelated to this thread).

I always used the Texaco fuel dock just north of the drydock.
Generally speaking I look for a distributor that moves a lot of fuel.
And in Alaska favor where the commercial guys go. But don’t go there when they do.

Just bought some there at Crowley a few weeks ago, and there was no limit on the credit card. I took on board 600 gallons. Just ring the buzzer and someone comes down.

We keep our boat in Ketchikan and at the end of the season we fill up at Petroleum-Marine just South of town Ext to the Coast Guard Station. They do not have a limit on the credit card, service is good and they generally have fresh popcorn. The dock is easy to get in and out of.

The north and south fuel docks are owned by the same company. As stated the north dock limits you to $140 purchase at the Kiosk. When I call the number at the north dock they told me they were no longer manning the north dock.

Ended up buying at the Petro dock near the CG. Was fine other than the wakes from passing idiots.

Back
Top Bottom