View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
We already discussed the main components that make up a watermaker, but lets now get into specifics.

Some watermaker manufacturers use components that they had built just for their watermaker. Those components are not used anywhere else on the planet. This is intentional folks. The intention is to make a profit, a huge profit on parts post sale. This makes you also dependent on that watermaker company still existing when you need that “special” component.

In short you are held hostage by your watermaker company.

Other watermaker companies use off the shelf readily available components. This gives you the freedom to buy things like filters, and new membranes, and pumps from whomever you choose.

I like this approach.

My watermaker uses standard 2.5X10” pre filters available at home depot. The pre-filter canister is also available there or at almost any home store in the country.

The low pressure pump is a jabsco unit. Available anywhere or replacable with any other brand of similar output pump.

The high pressure pump is is made by general pump. If it or the motor that drives it goes out, this is available from a bunch of sources, or I could choose another brand, no problem.

The membranes are dow corning 2.5”X40” standard off the shelf items, as are the membrane canisters. Google this sometime, there are literally hundreds of choices online to buy these membranes.

There is a lot to be said about having the flexibility of non proprietary components.

I bought my watermaker as a “kit” from Rich Boren over at Cruise RO water and power. I was impressed when I emailed Rich at 9:00 at night with a pre-sale question and he responded within just a few minutes.

After buying my watermaker I had several questions. Rich talked me through the installation process and troubleshooting a couple minor mistakes I made over the phone and via email. That kind of customer service cannot be beat! and that is why I am a very happy Cruise RO customer.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote