View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 PM   #18
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
LOL, because we are TF!
Actually health care costs are relevant to the topic of listening and going to ER. A lot of times people don't do so because of fear of the cost. Even insurance may have a high ER deductible or that on top of a high overall deductible. I know school teachers earning under $50k per year and with insurance with $6750 deductibles and they really hesitate to go. Then there are those without insurance.

Regardless, one's life is most important and you must listen to your body and to others even if you have no way to pay the bill. Bankruptcy beats death and hospitals will give you installment plans, if they don't put it on their charity plans.

There are other reasons people don't go to ER as well. Some fear looking dumb. They fear that they're making something out of nothing and they'll be told they're fine and sent home. No one should ever fear that. But then sometimes people are treated as if they were wasting the ER's time. If you've never had a heart attack, you don't know how one feels. Many have strokes and have no idea they had one. I've known people sent home from ER's and told they couldn't find anything wrong when they had kidney stones.

I haven't faced a serious illness yet, but I quite imagine when I first do that I'll be too dumb to realize it and my wife will be the one who tells me we're going or calls an ambulance. I do think sometimes it's easier to see something is wrong with your spouse as you can observe and you know them so well.

I'm just glad the OP went and is now home recuperating.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote